The New York Yankees came to terms with CC Sabathia to prevent him to becoming a free agent. Here are the terms of CC Sabathia’s new deal:
It is a new five-year, $122 million deal with a vesting option for a sixth year that can bring the total value of the contract to $147 million. CC Sabathia did NOT opt out as many newspapers, bloggers, and fans expected him to. (They simply love to speculate and not judge CC Sabathia on his words on record- that he always wanted to stay with the Yankees and didn’t want to play games with free agency, like A-Rod.)
That option is guaranteed only if Sabathia does not finish the 2016 season on the disabled list because of a left shoulder injury, does not spend more than 45 days of 2016 on the DL with a left shoulder injury, or does not make six or more relief appearances in 2016 because of shoulder problems. (Sorry if that sentence is awkward, but that’s the legal clause of the contract.) Another reason why the WFAN crowd is wrong: there is no weight clause in the contract regarding CC’s pounds.
The bottom line is that CC Sabathia now makes $400,000 on average per year more than his old Cleveland Indians friend Cliff Lee. That’s what CC wanted, and that’s what he got. I give Brian Cashman credit for hammering the deal down quickly and not letting this get out of hand, like he did with Derek Jeter’s contract. I also give Cashman credit for giving Sabathia the raise he requested, and not forcing a weight clause in the contract. (I assume Cashman was behind this signing based on his quotes.)
One reason why I pretty much got kicked off or ridiculed on Yankees stat heads message boards was because the stat heads wanted CC Sabathia to opt out. They didn’t want the Yankees to pay him that money. They felt he could have been easily replaced by some combination of Andrew Brackman, Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, or Ivan Nova. Granted Nova has improved to be the Yankees #2 starter, but ace he is not. Hughes is injured all the time, and Joba will never smell being a starter again. Brackman is laughable.
Just yesterday, New Yawk Mutants on the Daily News posted these comments about CC:
If he chooses to walk, let him go. Nobody is irreplaceable and he just isn’t that necessary. Once he opts out he is no longer a Yankee and shouldn’t be treated like anything more than the MEAT that he is.
Let him go. He is so fat that he could not perform in this years playoffs. knowing that he had the opt out. what is it going to be like for him in 5 years. a broken down fat man. good riddens. I do not htik anyone is giving him what he is getting now
I think once he has the baby and gets rid of the the baby weight he will be ready for 3 more good seasons. Then the knees/shoulder and elbow is gonna fail. In other words if he ops out….. CCCC-YA.
I say let them all walk and give it a shot using the hungry kids they’ve developed!
Yu Darvish and Roy Oswalt would be better in the long run and for the same (or less) cost.
CC Cyaaaaand don’t let the door hit you in that *** of yoursDoes this amount of money strike anyone else as a bit excessive?sign Wilson and Buerhle; say goodbye to CC…they should be able to make up his 19 wins easily
If CC wants to go; then let him. He’s another version of ARod. A player that can win during the season but can’t win the big game. I say give the rookies a chance and see what happens.
CC – if you feel under paid and under appreciated, and if you can make a better deal elsewhere, go for it! Thanks for the last three years, good bye and good luck. The Yankees have been in New York since 1903 and they WILL survive your departure.
- Yankees Let Andrew Brackman Become a Free Agent
- Yankees Winter Meetings Hot Stove League Report (The Do-Nothing Yankees)
- Cashman Forced to Talk About Igawa; Japan Quake Killed Albaladejo?
- 2013 Yankees Moves: No Catcher, Re-Sign Pitching
- CC Sabathia Opt-Out, Albert Pujols Free Agent, A-Rod’s Contract
- Yankees bullpen 2009
- CC SABATHIA signs with Yankees?
- Brian Cashman Passes on Rafael Soriano; Looking at Andruw Jones
- Brian Cashman on Chien Ming Wang: Not in my hands
- Brian Cashman flies to Andy Pettitte
- Tigers’ Johnny Damon to Red Sox? Boston Claims Damon from Waivers?
- Dustin Moseley Padres: His Yankees Career is Over
- Michael Pineda on DL With Shoulder Issues: Oops
- Brian Cashman and Joe Girardi on 2010 Yankees
- Cashman Trades Jesus Montero for Michael Pineda, Signs Hiroki Kuroda
- NY Yankees Bid Farewell to Damaso Marte
- Mets GM Omar Minaya gets a 4-year deal????
- Yankees resign Damaso Marte three-years, $12 million
- BREAKING NEWS: Yanks sign Mark Teixeira?
- Yanks Cut Wang