New York Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman gave himself an extension until 2014. For at least the next three years, Yankees fans such as myself will have to deal with Brian Cashman making sarcastic and mean spirited comments about his players, former players, and fans. Maybe it’s all the stress he is going through due to the sexual affair he had that the New York newspapers and WFAN won’t touch because if they did, he wouldn’t grant them media access anymore. I mean how two-faced is that? Yankees GM caught with photos kissing a married woman. If that was A-Rod…oh, wait it, it was and he was put on public trial.
Or it could be the years of emotional abuse George Steinbrenner inflicted upon his favorite whipping boy. Or maybe it’s the fact that Brian Cashman was born a dick, after all he was the guy who used to use his walky-talky to get Stadium security and escort drunks out of Yankee Stadium back in the day.
Heck, I don’t know anything I’m just talking crap; I’m just a blogger in my free time.
All I do know is that Cashman seems ways too accepting of winning one World Series in the last 10 seasons, and the Yankees should have taken the opportunity to move in a different direction. You see, New Yorkers view a non-World Series season as a failure. You can make fun of them for that or call them arrogant or entitled, but when your team has the highest payroll and a bunch of Hall of Famers, you would expect the same thing.
Cashman seems to be OK with the playoffs being a crapshoot because that’s what the stats say it is. To an extent he is correct- after all- how would one go about building a “championship team” like the 2010 Giants or 2011 Cardinals? Yet on the other hand, he totally underestimates “intangibles” such as psychology, clubhouse atmosphere, chemistry, motivation to win, and clutch hitting. In fact thanks to the Sabermetric Revolution, those concepts are laughed at.
Yet dare I say the 2011 Cardinals, 2010 Giants, and yes 2009 Yankees had those intangibles. The 2009 Yankees were clutch: Hideki Matsui, Johnny Damon, and Melky Cabrera were known for their walk-offs. That team rallied and never gave up. Godzilla and The Idiot were warriors, and Melky was the Good Luck Charm. Cashman did the “logical” thing and got rid of all three, and the fans agreed. Since then the Yankees have choked when it counts. Would you like to point at something else? The staring pitching is better. The bullpen is better. The Yankees added yet another superstar in the name of Curtis Granderson. You can say that Jeter, A-Rod, and Posada have declined since 2009, but Cano and Gardner have improved. The Yankees hit homeruns like crazy and have great ERA’s compared to the league.
The problem is that running virtually the same lineup out there in the postseason in 2010 and 2011 is the definition of insanity. Joe Girardi is a manager with no options: he wasn’t allowed to juggle the lineup around or bench anyone in the starting lineup. When I say “allowed” I mean that’s what he has been indoctrinated with thanks to Cashman.
The Yankees will not win the World Series in 2012 unless moves are made this offseason. Down the road, a big decision will be if Gardner can bat lead-off. Jeter will probably be put to 2nd instead of 7th or 8th. Cashman needs to make a decision on Jesus Montero being a DH, catcher, or being trade fodder.
By the way Cashman’s money saving reputation is severely overrated.
Another peeve with Cashman is how he holds on to prospects so long without exposing them to the majors. It’s like he’s gun shy because he got burned in the past.
Anyway, feel free to defend your boy Cashman. You may ask who else could have been GM? Okay, how about Jean Afterman? Or Dave Stewart? Heck, I don’t care anybody except Cashman.
List of 2012 Yankees Moves So Far
Cano Back, Well Duh
Extend The Cash Man
- Where Was Brian Cashman This PostSeason?
- Brian Cashman on the Do-Nothing 2012 Yankees: “I Used to Care”
- Giants Beat Braves in 2010 NLDS; End Bobby Cox’s Career
- The Franchise Review (Giants Showtime TV Show)
- JESUS Montero Scouting Report and Personality Profile
- Our Savior Has Returned: Andy Pettitte is God
- Andruw Jones is BACK With the 2012 Yankees!
- Brian Cashman Overruled- Stat Heads Defend Cashman
- Jerry Hairston, Jr Leaves Yankees, Heads to Padres
- Yankees Winter Meetings Hot Stove League Report (The Do-Nothing Yankees)
- Yankees Say Farewell to Damon, Sign Randy Winn
- CC Sabathia Flirts with No-Hitter, Yanks Kills Rays 10-0
- Don’t Believe the Derek Jeter and Hal Steinbrenner Rumors
- Do the Tampa Bay Rays Make Brian Cashman Overrated?
- Bud Selig World Series Rain Delay Suspended Game
- Mark Teixeira on DL 8-10 Weeks; Is The 2013 Yankees Season Over?
- Red Sox Bobby Jenks; Yankees Pedro FELICIANO?
- Brian Cashman’s First 2011 Yankees Moves
- Jorge Posada Interview After He Asked to be Taken Out of Game
- Game 124: Yankees clobber Royals 15-6