I don’t care if Alex Rodriguez played high stakes underground poker with cocaine on the table with Tobey MaGuire and Matt Damon in Beverley Hills or whatever the latest rumors are. I don’t care if Bud Selig warned Alex to stay away from underground card games in 2005. Selig’s authority to investigate and suspend A-Rod are flimsy at best. A lawyer must cite the infamous “best interest” clause in the Collective Bargaining Agreement for this one.
This is 2011, not 1989, and not 1919: gambling on other sports and card games is socially acceptable and-hold on you gullible and naive reporters- happens in every clubhouse in baseball. Yes, card playing. Now of course the manager says, “Don’t let me see you gambling” and that’s the extent of it. If you have millions of dollars, you’d understand how boring life is, and what the HECK are you going to do with 24 other guys in the clubhouse before a game?
In addition to playing poker games, many current and former players not only are seen in Las Vegas casinos, but also are huge fans of the Tampa greyhound race tracks. Heck, George Steinbrenner, Don Zimmer, and Joe Torre loved that place.
Selig likes to always lecture about “unsavory” types influencing baseball players at underground casinos, but what about the public ones, Mr. Hypocrite? Besides, with high player salaries and how hard it is for one player to fix a baseball game, what is the fear in 2011 anyway?
Defenders of Selig like to point out that A-Rod may be running up huge gambling debts and therefore may be leaving him open to manipulation. Sounds like Big Brother is getting worried about things he shouldn’t be.
On the lighter side of things, are there any other scandals A-Rod can be linked to?
I mean he pretty much has got it covered. The only things left are betting on dog fighting and a gay affair. Can’t he even keep a low profile on the DL. Damn.
Hey after this latest A-Rod scandal blows over, maybe he can come out with Alex Rodriguez Poker Superstars for the PC.
- A-Rod Found Not Guilty of Ilegal Gambling
- A-Rod Steroids Coverage
- Las Vegas Nevada
- Bud Selig running background checks on MLB umpires
- John Rocker vs A-Rod and Selig
- A-Rod loved a hooker, Kristin Davis
- Bud Selig’s Conspiracy to Beat the Yankees
- A-Rod party photo
- A-Rod Vs Brian Cashman Over Twitter: Who Cares?
- Thoughts on Ryan Braun’s Appeal
- Robinson Cano Answers Critics
- Bud Selig World Series Rain Delay Suspended Game
- Truth Hurts, Bud?
- Game 100: Cano, Abreu, Rasner beat Twins, 8-2
- Mariano Rivera is the Ultimate Sports Role Model
- MLB 2012: Second Wild Card Makes Things Exciting
- Barry Bonds Defends A-Rod
- Pud Galvin used steroids (Baseball old timer)
- A-Rod Reports to Spring Training Camp
- Snapshot Joe – 4.20.07