And so ends the brief managerial career of Edwin Rodríguez. The Marlins manager hung up his uniform for the final time amidst a Florida Marlins 9-game losing streak (they have since lost 10 in a row). Edwin Rodríguez was hired as a interim manager a year ago, and had minor league experience. The Marlins, picked by DailySkew Baseball to win the Wild Card, have fallen to last place in the NL East and near the bottom of the Wild Card standings. They are 1-17 in June. Ironically enough, Marlins fans had stopped watching the team when the Miami Heat were in the playoffs and the Marlins were on a West Coast trip. I wonder if the players realized how irrelevant they are to South Florida and just gave up. Who knows?
You get what you pay far; with so many big manager names on the market, the Marlins decided to stick with an in-house option to save money. I think this proves that you just can’t expect a career minor league manager (and a fringe baseball player) to be a MLB manager with quick results. There is no question that the Marlins impatient owner Jeffrey Loria got frustrated and probably forced Edwin Rodríguez to quit.
In typical Marlins fashion, their blame goes to the manager and coaches, as opposed to The Man with the checkbook, Jeffrey Loria.
Anyway, I’d love to see Jack McKeon make his final comeback at 80-years old, whip these boys into shape, and get me the NL Wild Card.
As far as Edwin Rodríguez goes, he’s DONE. Why would any team hire an inexperienced manager who quit on his team? He should have just let the Marlins officially fire him to save face- if there is any face to save in this ugly situation.
- Bobby Valentine Marlins Manager? Buck Showalter Orioles Manager?
- Logan Morrison Recalled By Florida Marlins; Weak Players Union?
- Marlins Stadium Deal
- NL Rookie of the Year: Chris Coghlan
- J.J. beats A.J. 2-1
- South Florida Heat: Marlins beat Yanks
- Red Sox Collapse, Ozzie Guillen Marlins, 2011 MLB Post Season Picks
- Bud Selig’s Conspiracy to Beat the Yankees
- Will the Marlins spoil the Mets chances at Shea?
- Game 128: Yanks rally with HRs sink Orioles
- NL Cy Young Award Winner: Giants’ Tim Lincecum
- Baseball and Hurricane Plan of Action
- Baseball Stat Heads: 2010 Rays Win AL East
- Shelley Duncan is hot
- Whatever Happens to New York Mets Managers?
- If you thought the Nationals were tough….
- Joe Torre Retires; Rumors of Managing Mets or Marlins False
- Snapshot Joe: MLB Standings Report
- Marlins: 2009 East Champions?
- Armando Benitez Minor League