Andruw Jones signs with New York Yankees. The Stat Heads approve of this because they say Andruw is still a good outfielder and that he hits lefties well. Stat Heads were never sold on Marcus Thames’ clutch ability or defense. The other type of NYY fan- such as myself and other paying customers- don’t approve of this deal for a few reasons:
- We know Andruw can’t hit anymore. His production these last few years is totally INDEFENSIBLE, and I will not pull a Bill James stat out of my butt to apologize for it, or juggle numbers to show a shred of hope that Jones will be productive in 2011. It is not a NEWSFLASH that every year a team takes a flyer on Andruw and hope that he is good again. These teams let him walk after the season.
- We know Andruw is FAT and can’t move out there anymore. Can you say Earth-Zero Ken Griffey, Jr?
- We hate the Braves and don’t want former Braves. Yeah, that’s an emotional argument. I would have brought back Johnny Damon or Marcus Thames. Of course, if I was in charge, the Yanks would still have Melky Cabrera as the 4th outfielder anyway.
You know what’s scary? Agent Scott Boras agreeing to a 1-year/$2 million deal. That tells me Andruw is DONE- mentally and physically; he’ an OLD 34, folks. He probably wasn’t even committed to coming back to play in 2011, but Boras wanted the commission, and Boras sells, sells, and sells.
Andruw Jones is a heel. I always hated his cocky smirk, laid back attitude, and the fact that he was so good and he knew it. Jones was involved in a sex scandal with WCW booker Eric Bischoff back in the 1990′s at an Atlanta strip club, so I was never sold on Jones being a “good kid”. I wasn’t surprised when the Dodgers ate his contract just to get rid of him. Not even Joe Torre could handle him. Andruw, I believe, is an Enneagram Type 9 and doesn’t say much, but he has the ability to suck energy out of a room if he’s unhappy.
Now Andruw gets gets a chance to MAIL IT IN in 2011 in New York. There’s a good chance he will bat .150 with 0 homeruns at the end of May. Can’t wait for the bleacher creatures to boo him.
Look, I am a Yankees fan, and I hope Andruw proves me wrong. I love to eat my words when I rip a Yankees move because that means the team is winning. Maybe A-Rod will inspire him since they like the same music.
MEANWHILE, there is a still quality talent out there who already proved himself last year and the year before, but he can’t land a job anywhere: his name is Vladmir Guerrero. General Managers, fans, and “experts” say that Vlad isn’t worth a multi-year deal. What a communist system where great players like Vlad have to work on one-year deals (he may be forced to retire).
- Brian Cashman Passes on Rafael Soriano; Looking at Andruw Jones
- Johnny Damon Signs with Tigers for 1-year
- Andruw Jones is BACK With the 2012 Yankees!
- Jerry Hairston, Jr Leaves Yankees, Heads to Padres
- Cashman Gets Desperate (Good): Yankees Sign Soriano
- Brian Cashman flies to Andy Pettitte
- Best 2009 Offseason Move (MLB) and WORST
- Baseball news items
- Stat Head Yankees Fans are Panicking
- Spring Training Impressions: Dellin Betances, Ivan Nova, Jesus Montero
- Mets GM Omar Minaya gets a 4-year deal????
- The Return of Andy Pettitte (11 Shutout Innings)
- Tigers fire Jacque Jones, will Barry Bonds get hired
- Dontrelle Willis Signs With Phillies: Who Cares?
- 2011 Yankees Top 10 Questions
- Giants Beat Braves in 2010 NLDS; End Bobby Cox’s Career
- Yankees Say Farewell to Damon, Sign Randy Winn
- The Stat Heads Were Wrong: Javy Vazquez Was a Waste
- Secret Confessions from a Yankees Fan (2010)
- Braves Offer Johnny Damon 1-year Deal, A-Rod and Cameron Diaz