Michael Kay, once again stirring the pot with his opinions, accused Cliff Lee of cheating because of the white resin on the bill of his cap. Kay said it was against the rules, and implied that is the reason why Lee is unhittable. As a typical New York bootlicker, no pitcher can beat the Yankees without cheating. Look, he didn’t say it in those words because he’s a coward, but that’s what he meant when he talked about “Cliff Lee’s illegal cap”.
He also is attempting to assert the influence of the MEDIA into the game. Although I am not a conspiracy theorist, Michael Kay is an Enneagram Type 5, so all bets are off: he may be trying to pressure Joe Girardi into asking the umpire to examine or change Cliff Lee’s cap. Kay may be finding an excuse for Brian Cashman to fire Girardi if he doesn’t challenge the cap and Lee wins. It just could be an excuse for Kay to be self-important as the first public personality to complain about Cliff Lee’s hat. Indeed, the most obvious reason Kay is doing this is because he is once again blowing his own horn to try and show that he might actually know something.
The hypocrisy of Michael Kay is that if Cliff Lee was on the Yankees, he would not even mention his dirty cap. Kay shows how detached he is from the players, who have no problem with pitchers having resin on their caps. For the average player it’s not illegal. It’s like Kay has no faith in the Yankees to beat Lee, so has to resort to some stupid distraction. In some sick way, Kay wants to get credit if the Yankees beat Lee. Kay is truly like a pro wrestling manager.
Kay started this story, and regardless of his intentions, other MEDIA outlets have now picked it up. The question is if the cameras will zoom in on Cliff Lee’s cap and make an issue of it during Game 3, a la Kenny Rogers 2006. Such a MEDIA circus may put pressure on Joe Girardi to do something, which may actually make Lee more determined to win as opposed to distracted. It may even have an influence on Lee not wanting to join the Yankees in 2011.
For the record, Brett Gardner, Dave Eiland, and A.J. Burnett said although they noticed the resin and sweat on his cap, they said Lee doesn’t need any advantage and it’s not an issue for them, as it doesn’t make him better. They understand you have to wipe your hands somewhere.
- Cliff Lee Destroys Yankees in Game 3
- Derek Jeter Umpire Call, Girardi
- Yanks Sweep Orioles Behind A-Rod and CC Sabathia; Dave Trembley Fired
- Why Does Brian Cashman Get a Free Pass for Cheating on His Wife?
- Credit Score
- Sergio Mitre almost PERFECT as Yanks beat ChiSox
- South Florida Heat: Marlins beat Yanks
- It’s Official: Joe Torre is Gone
- Dissecting the A-Rod admits steroids interview
- Game 41: Mussina, Rivera beat Rays 2-1
- Twins Cream Yankees’ Vazquez, Park, and Gaudin, Michael Kay Sucks
- Derek Jeter Cheater Controversy: Lying About Getting HBP
- Manager of the Year: Lou Pinella and Joe Maddon
- The Yanks Don’t Need Cliff Lee
- Cliff Lee wins 2008 AL Cy Young Award
- Cliff Lee’s Rangers Beat David Price’s Rays
- Where Will Cliff Lee Sign? (Mystery Team REVEALED)
- Pro Wrestling and Steroids
- Where is Dave Eiland? RUMOR: EILAND IS IN REHAB
- YESNetwork Downplays Yankees vs Joe Torre’s Dodgers