Is Johnny Damon returning to the Boston Red Sox? Tony Vahl is reporting that WFAN is reporting that Jon Heyman is reporting: the “Red Sox have claimed Johnny Damon off waivers; Tigers and Boston working out a deal.” First of all, let me explain what is going on:
What are waivers? Waivers is a very complicated MLB transaction: in the most simplest terms, a team basically says: I am willing to trade, release, or demote a certian player, and it allows other teams to work out a deal to trade for him. Most of the time, however, it is used for 40-man roster management, and the team has no intention of moving the player, and he is taken off waivers if someone claims him.
Why did the Tigers put Damon on waivers? The Detroit Tigers placed Johnny Damon on waivers recently. At 11 games out, the Tigers have given up on 2010, and they have given up on paying Johnny Damon, although he isn’t getting paid a lot anyway. Basically a team just has to pay him $1.8 million for the rest of the year, and at that point Johnny Damon would become a free agent again, or retire.
Why do the Red Sox need Johnny Damon? Jacoby Ellsbury and Mike Cameron are both unlikely to return this season, and the Red Sox still feel they have a chance to sneak in and win the Wild Card.
Is Johnny Damon still good? YES…playing at Comerica killed his power numbers (as did the ERA CHANGE we experienced from 2009 to 2010), but Damon is still a good hitter.
Will Damon go to the Red Sox? Damon has a limited NO-TRADE clause, which SPECIFICALLY lists the Boston Red Sox as a team that he must give his 100% approval to make a trade.
Will Damon waive the no-trade clause? Damon is complicated person (Enneagram Type 7). When he feels spurned, his hatred comes out because of his pride. He has went on the record and attacked Theo Epstein before. He said he the Yankees treated players better than the Red Sox did. However, he may feel upset the Tigers put him on waivers. So he may hate the Tigers now. Maybe he feels flattered Epstein would swallow his huge ego and leave himself open to be rejected. Maybe Damon wants a chance to prove Brian Cashman wrong. Or perhaps Damon will extract the ultimate revenge and reject Epstein’s flirt and ask the Tigers to work out a deal with the Yankees or Rays if they can claim him.
Anyway, within 48 hours we should know.
- BREAKING NEWS: Yanks sign Mark Teixeira?
- Johnny Damon is Complaining
- Johnny Damon Signs with Tigers for 1-year
- Red Sox Sign John Lackey for $85 million over 5 years
- Braves Offer Johnny Damon 1-year Deal, A-Rod and Cameron Diaz
- Johnny Damon Getting Screwed in Today’s Marketplace
- Will Roy Halladay be Traded to Yankees for Joba Chamberlain?
- Johnny Damon Gets Revenge on Yanks, as Tigers Win 5-4
- Game 103: Cano, Pettitte destroy Red Sox in Boston
- Yankees Trade Coke, Kennedy, Austin Jackson for Curtis Granderson
- More Johnny Damon Joe Torre comments
- Detroit Tigers: The Team to Beat?
- Manny Ramirez speaks
- Steve Phillips On the Record: Yanks are Out
- 2012 Yankees Pitching Staff: Seven Guys?
- Yankees Say Farewell to Damon, Sign Randy Winn
- Red Sox Bobby Jenks; Yankees Pedro FELICIANO?
- Brian Cashman Passes on Rafael Soriano; Looking at Andruw Jones
- Yankees rumored free agent signings and trade rumors
- Good Outing by Javier Vazquez Wasted in 2-0 Loss in Detroit