Lou Piniella has retired abruptly due to his mother’s health in Tampa, Florida. Piniella had announced that he would be retiring at the end of the season, but with the Cubs reverting back to their embarrassing ways, and his mother’s declining health, Sweet Lou decided to focus on the important things in life.
DailySkew readers know where I stand on Lou Piniella’s managerial career. You may believe he’s overrated- that he’s famous because he yelled at umpires, and never won a World Championship with the Mariners, but you miss the facts that:
1) He won a World Championship with the Reds
2) He won Manager of the Year 3 times
3) He has improved every team he managed when he took over the reigns
4) He’s 14th all-time in wins
5) He finished with a winning record
It’s really quite simple. His career is better than Jim Leyland’s, and so many old timers that people like to elevate.
So you can imagine my frustration when some local fool on the AM radio dial said that Lou Piniella is overrated because he’s famous for yelling at umpires, and never won a championship with the Mariners.
Yes, this young punk has a radio show, and Tony Vahl and I, the DailySkew co-founders, are blogging. That’s what my wife said since she was in the car. Why can’t the DailySkew be on AM radio leading into the Yankees game instead of this kid who didn’t attempt to analyze Lou Piniella’s runs like I had done.
Then I rationalized it- I said this punk on local AM radio probably gets paid part time, and I make more money online anyway. I said this kid went through the System: majored in broadcasting, knows the general topics, doesn’t get paid a lot, and probably knows someone.
Anyway, Lou Piniella will be missed because he was a pretty good Enneagram Type 8 Personality. He was more like Bobby Cox than Dallas Green, and that says a lot.
- Thoughts on Lou Piniella Retiring
- 2012 Wrestler of the Year: CM Punk
- The Boss* Answers Questions via E-mail
- Tony Vahl’s 2010 MLB Predictions
- John Wetteland hospitalized
- Michael Kay vs Al Leiter: Friends or Rivals?
- DailySkew Baseball Blog: 500 posts
- DailySkew Interview: Mike Piazza
- DailySkew on Pinterest: ENNEAGRAM POP
- Pittsburgh Pirates Announcers MLB.TV
- Red Sox Collapse, Ozzie Guillen Marlins, 2011 MLB Post Season Picks
- Jonathan Papelbon saves game against Angels
- Tony Vahl picks Yankees to win World Series- MLB 2009 postseason picks
- Game 103: Cano, Pettitte destroy Red Sox in Boston
- Dallas Braden Perfect Game: A-Rod Looks Stupid Now
- Brian Cashman Signs DH Raul Ibanez (Good or Bad?)
- Doc Gooden 2013 News and Dwight Gooden Dream
- Eva Longoria
- Roger Clemens’ Testimony
- Cashman to Trade Francisco Cervelli Due to Podcast