Oh snap, during last night’s game I had an acid flashback to 2008 where the Tampa Bay Rays were invincible and everyone on the New York Yankees got injured. So get this: after A.J. Burnett (4-2, 3.86) laid down for 6 runs, Boone Logan (5.59) and Mark Melancon (9.00) gave up 4 runs. Here’s the ironic part: the Yankees staged an impossible rally with 2-outs in the 9th inning, and scored 4 runs, which means if the Yanks had any bullpen pitchers, the score would have been tied 6-6. Instead the Rays destroyed the Yankees 10-6.
Marcus Thames stepped on his bat while running to first base, and had to come out of the game. He is day-to-day. The problem with day-to-day with the 2010 Yankees is that being day-to-day means you really aren’t available (see Nick Swisher). Last night, Jorge Posada and Nick Swisher were listed as “available”, but they weren’t. That means Joe Girardi had 23 men to play last night, and after Thames got hurt, he had 22 men, with 13 pitchers- in other words, Ramiro Pena played RF (!) and he no longer had ANY batters on the bench.
MEANWHILE, Jorge Posada is headed to the DL with a hairline fracture in his foot, sustained when he hit a foul foul off it a few days ago. Why the Yankees just found out, I don’t understand. Rumor mill is that the Yanks will bring up backup catcher Chad Moeller from the minor leagues. Did you know Chad Moeller is really like a bullpen catcher in AAA? The Yanks might as well ask John Flaherty to come down from the broadcasting booth and catch for the Yanks, instead of Chad Freakin’ Moeller. Hey what about Yankees #1 prospect catcher/DH Jesus Montero? He’s struggling in AAA, but lest we forget that Francisco Cervelli was batting under .200 in DOUBLE-A when he got his call up in 2009!
MEANWHILE, it seems as if the Yanks will recall Greg Golson AGAIN…nice way to motivate a scrub AAA player by sending him up and down several times a week. How about signing a real hitter…JERMAINE DYE is waiting by the telephone, Brian CASHman. Other remaining unsigned free agents that are better than Greg Golson, Randy Winn, and Chad Moeller: Elijah Dukes, Dave Dellucci, Pat Burrell, Gary Sheffield, Darin Erstad, and Michael Barrett.
By the way, what is Brian Cashman doing to fix the 2010 Yankees bullpen?
- Yankees Beat Rays Bullpen; Take Series
- Rays SWEEP Yanks; Andy Pettitte Crushed
- Phil Hughes Unstoppable, as Yanks Tame Tigers 8-0
- Nick Swisher walk-off HR
- Rangers beat Joba; Yankees rally falls short
- Game 23: Joba loses for the first time
- 2010 Yankees Mid-Season Report Card (All-Star Break)
- Josh Beckett Goes Insane- Plunks Yanks; Phil Hughes Beats Red Sox
- Francisco Cervelli, A.J. Burnett Crush Orioles, Win Series
- Robinson Cano Grand Slam, Swisher HR, Hughes Scalps Indians
- Game 16: Yanks outslug Sox at Stadium
- Our Savior Has Returned: Andy Pettitte is God
- Robinson Cano Walk-Off HR in 10th
- Game 14: Yanks homer, but almost blow lead against Rays
- Game 40: Rays beat Mariano Rivera
- Phil Hughes, Robinson Cano Destroy Orioles
- Phil Hughes Returns as Yanks Win Angels Series
- Brian Cashman and Joe Girardi on 2010 Yankees
- Tigers Verlander Destroys Yanks CC Sabathia
- Yanks Win ChiSox Series, Hughes and Bats Dominate