Mike Pelfrey and the New York Mets were clutch on Saturday night prime time FOX. Jason Bay, David Wright, and Angel Pagan came through- even with two outs, while the Yankees hitters left runners on base all night (24), and were unable to overcome a 5-3 Mets victory at Citi Field.
Phil Hughes (5-1, 2.72) is just regressing to the mean, so there’s nothing to worry about; he kept the Yanks in the game. Chan Ho Park gave up a run, while Sergio Mitre did not.
Mike Pelfrey (6-1, 2.86) was great- he kept the Yanks off balance for 6 innings. Jenrry Mejia got out a a jam…he is the Mets hyped 20-year old prospect whom they are thinking about converting to a starter. Tim McCarver and Joe Buck were trying to make him out to be like Jose Valverde or Joakim Soria. I was surprised the Mets had such a future superstar. Then I checked his stats: 20 innings, 22 hits, 15K, 12 walks, and a 3.60 ERA. Looks like he needs more work in the minors.
K-Rod got the 1.2 inning save, but came THIS close from blowing it.
An exciting Subway Series game. Nick Swisher is back and pumped.
Joe Buck said Tim McCarver has Jonas Brothers posters hanging in his room.
- 2010 All Star Game: Why Didn’t Joe Girardi Pinch Run David Ortiz with A-Rod?
- CC Sabathia, Yanks bats destroy Mets
- Phil Hughes Unstoppable, as Yanks Tame Tigers 8-0
- Game 81: Pettitte beats Johan Santana
- CC Sabathia outduels John Lackey, Yankees beat Angels Game 1 ALCS
- Game 108: Angels feast on Andy Pettitte
- Tim and Joe: What happened?
- Mike Mussina finally wins 20th victory
- Yanks Win ChiSox Series, Hughes and Bats Dominate
- Game 115: Mike Mussina shuts down Texas
- Yanks Mets Subway Series Rain Delay
- World Series Game 6 Preview: Andy Pettitte vs Pedro Martinez
- Red Sox outlast Yankees in slugfest
- Game 25: Indians win 4-3 against Yankees
- Sergio Mitre beats Mariners, Jeter and Swisher HR
- World Series Game 3 Review: Andy Pettitte defeats Cole Hamels
- Yankees Red Sox 15 innings
- Joba strikes back, beats Rays
- Willie Randolph fired
- CC Sabathia dominates Red Sox