No matter what the so-called experts say, based on my instincts, Josh Beckett (1-1, 7.46) went crazy after Nick Swisher hit a 3-run HR, and started to plunk Yankees, including a nasty fastball on Robinson Cano’s knee- which sounded like his fastball hit Cano’s bat. The apologists are saying that Josh Beckett has matured from his Marlins days, and that he would never hit batsman with the bases loaded (he plunked Francisco Cervelli and Derek Jeter).
They are wrong- the bottom line is that Beckett became enraged like his idol Roger Clemens and lost control of his command and his emotions. If you watched the game with an open mind, you would have seen Beckett curse Swisher and begin to smirk. Beckett was dominant until then. Then he had a Mexican standoff with Cervelli which resulted in Beckett throwing chin music to him. (Cervelli won last night’s battle- 2 hits and an RBI).
Anyway, enough on the loser Josh Beckett- whereas he was a barbarian, Phil Hughes (4-0, 1.69) was an angel of light that held the evil Red Sox to 2 runs in 7 innings, with 7 K and 1 walk. The New York Yankees laid the smackdown on the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park 10-3, the only hiccup (besides Cano and Nick Johnson getting injured- looks like Johnson is headed to the DL after he swung the bat incorrectly ) was David Robertson’s awful pitching performance.
Hey, I know it’s early but with Nick Johnson and Curtis Granderson on the DL, and Javier Vazquez suffering from depression, you have to question Brian Cashman for acquiring them, especially since the Yanks have run out of professional backup players. I don’t know about you, but I think Johnny Damon, Hideki Matsui, Melky Cabrera, Phil Coke, and prospect Austin Jackson would have been more productive and healthy.
Anyway, great game showing that the Yankees own the Red Sox so far, and a great win even though the Yanks got hurt in the process.
Yankees transactions: Sent down scrub CF Greg Golson to AAA and brought up scrub relief pitcher Romulo Sanchez. That was shown to be a mistake last night, as the Yanks ran out of position players.
- Phil Hughes, Robinson Cano Destroy Orioles
- Our Savior Has Returned: Andy Pettitte is God
- Joba Sucks, Marcus Thames Error, Randy Winn Weak, BoSox Rally
- Yankees Bats Crush Orioles; Cano 2010 MVP?
- Rays SWEEP Yanks; Andy Pettitte Crushed
- 2010 Yankees Spring Training News
- CC Sabathia and Yankees Bats Wake Up in Game 5
- Yankees Trade Coke, Kennedy, Austin Jackson for Curtis Granderson
- Yanks Win ChiSox Series, Hughes and Bats Dominate
- Nick Johnson Back With Yankees?
- Mark Teixeira on DL 8-10 Weeks; Is The 2013 Yankees Season Over?
- Brian Cashman and Joe Girardi on 2010 Yankees
- Mark Teixeira Clutch HR, AJ Burnett’s Pitching Beat Indians
- Phil Hughes Returns as Yanks Win Angels Series
- Opening Night: Red Sox beat Yankees; Chan Ho Park
- Yankees Beat Rays Bullpen; Take Series
- CC Sabathia beats Josh Beckett and Red Sox on ESPN
- Rays Burn A.J. Burnett; Jorge Posada DL; Marcus Thames Hurt
- Do the Tampa Bay Rays Make Brian Cashman Overrated?
- Javier Vazquez Sucks; Curtis Granderson DL?