Thanks, Joba. Thanks for making me staying up past 1:00AM EST to watch you freakin’ give up a 2-run homerun in a 4-4 game in the 8th inning at Anaheim to Kendry Morales. The Angels beat the Yanks 6-4, but the real story is about how the New York Yankees and LA Angels almost came to blows several times in the game.
It all started when Ervin Santana hit Mark Teixeira in the elbow. I know…you’re wondering why he would hit him on purpose. Well, it could be because Teixeira is still boo’ed by Angels fans for “selling out” to the Yanks as a free agent, and perhaps his Angels teammates feel the same way. Anyway, Teixeira got revenge by purposely crashing into rookie backup catcher Bobby Wilson. This was a pretty bad collision at the plate, and Mark was unharmed. This is not out of character for Teixeira- if he thinks a team or player is going after him, he fights back (remember he and the Twins got into it because of Carlos Gomez). Torii Hunter kinda bumped Mark in the next inning at 1B. A.J. Burnett kept accidentally hitting Angels as well, and so was Santana.
Speaking of A.J. Burnett- he pretty much sucked. I knew the Yanks lost in the first since AJ was wild, and expressed his frustration with having no control. When his negative emotions take over, he can’t really execute well. The Yanks did put up a good fight and it appeared they may have a chance to pull off an upset in Anaheim, but Joba went ahead and ruined everything.
Nick Johnson broke his 0-21 hitless slump, and Nick Swisher hit a HR. Brett Gardner got his first double of the year- actually his first extra base hit. Maybe that’s why Brian Cashman doesn’t like him- he has no slugging %.
Anyway, just wanna say that YES announcers Ken Singleton and John Flaherty have been doing a great job on this West Coast trip starting with the A’s series. Michael Kay is not missed. Singleton and Flaherty have good chemistry right now, and the only thing I disagreed with them was about how they allegedly never heard of the unwritten rules of walking across pitcher’s mounds. I guess they never played ball in Brooklyn or Queens, because I knew that rule as a kid at camp. Also, Kim Jones did make the road trip, and she’s been very informative during the game. She gets a lot of clubhouse scoops.
- Melky and Ramiro Pena power Yanks over Angels
- Teixeira gets revenge; A-Rod wins it
- Yankees Win 2009 American League Championship!
- Game 111: Xavier Nady, I-Rod upset Angels
- Game 117: Angels crush Yankees bullpen
- Mark Teixeira Clutch HR, AJ Burnett’s Pitching Beat Indians
- Angels beat Yankees ALCS Game 3 Extra innings
- Late Night- Angels Rally; Joba Blows
- Johnny Damon saves Mother’s Day
- Yankees beat Twins in ALDS Game 2: Mark Teixeira walk off HR
- Yanks vs Angels Preview
- Beckett + Red Sox destroy AJ Burnett and Yanks
- Robinson Cano Walk-Off HR in 10th
- Yankees bullpen, bats SWEEP White Sox
- Why did the 2009 Yankees improve from the 2008 Yankees?
- American League Division Series Matchups, Predictions
- Yanks beat Angels at their own game
- Yanks Win ChiSox Series, Hughes and Bats Dominate
- Red Sox beat Wang
- Yankees Bats Crush Orioles; Cano 2010 MVP?