Quick loss this afternoon for the Yankees, but they still took the A’s series. CC Sabathia once again got hometown jitters in Oakland. It’s amazing though- although CC has no control of his pitches (6 walks) he still only gave up 4 runs in an 8-inning complete game.
I FINALLY saw a Yankees TRIPLE-PLAY live! It was the first Yankees triple play since 1968. A-Rod to Cano to Nick Johnson. Kurt Suzuki, who hit a 3-run HR off CC in the 1st, managed to ground out into the triple play, so that was cool.
However the story of the day was Dallas Braden- he is a young lefty who has an 87-MPH fastball and a 75-MPH changeup, and the Yankees were off-balance all day. I happen to know a college-level pitcher at BCC who has the same stuff, so maybe there is hope for him to make the bigs one day. The A’s showed why they have some wins under their belt this season- pitching. After Dallas Braden allowed 2 runs in 6 innings, the submariner (and stat head icon) Brad Ziegler pitched 2 scoreless innings, and 2009 Rookie of the Year Andre Bailey got the easy save.
The game did have controversy: Dallas Braden shouted at A-Rod between innings after A-Rod walked across the pitcher’s mound after Robbie Cano hit a foul ball instead of just retracing his steps back to first base like everyone else does. Braden was all over A-Rod- shouting very loud, and he threw his glove in the dugout. A-Rod pulled a Hulk Hogan and cupped his ear, and waved him off like “Who are you, kid?”
“[A-Rod] should probably take a note from his captain over [Derek Jeter] there and realize you don’t cross the pitcher’s mound in between an inning or during the game. I was just dumbfounded that he would let that slip his mind — being someone of such status. The guy was tasting himself too long to apologize. It’s a shame. I have a lot of respect for the guy and everything he’s done for the game. I admire the kind of talent like that — it’s just disappointing when you see the other side of things.
“It’s pretty much baseball etiquette. It’s an extremely classy organization, the best in the business. I was trying to convey to him that I’m still out there, the ball is in my hand, and it’s my pitcher’s mound. If he wants to run across the pitcher’s mound, tell him to go do laps in the bullpen.”
“I don’t go over there and run laps at third base. I don’t spit over there. I stay away. He ran across the pitcher’s mound, foot on my rubber. “
And A-Rod’s response:
“He just told me to get off his mound. That was a little surprising. I’d never quite heard that, especially from a guy that has a handful of wins in his career. I didn’t even know he was talking to me. I’ve never heard of that in my career. I still don’t know. I thought it was pretty funny, actually.”
MY INITIAL OPINION ON DALLAS BRADEN vs ALEX RODRIGUEZ (subject to change):
-Yes, it is a breach of etiquette for runners to cross the pitcher’s mound. If it was done in Bob Gibson’s day, A-Rod would be dead. For those who disagree with this unwritten rule, I guess you never played baseball at any level. You are told not to cut across the pitcher’s mound if you are walking back from a foul ball; you are supposed to retrace your steps on the baselines.
- Yes, it is very possible that A-Rod never heard of this, since he was pretty much born as a superstar and has no conception of stuff like this.
-Conversely, A-Rod may have done it on purpose to shake the kid up since the Yanks had Braden in the ropes at the time. That would be cool since A-Rod was intentionally trying to help the Yanks.
-Either way, A-Rod was unprofessional as usual (remember he hit Bronson Arroyo’s glove in the Red Sox series in 2004 and shouted at the Blue Jay’s Howie Clark and made him drop the ball in 2007). Just shows you that A-Rod is a Miami ghetto boy even with all his millions and his talent.
- Dallas Braden Perfect Game: A-Rod Looks Stupid Now
- I don’t believe…what I just saw
- Josh Beckett Is Slow and the Umpires Don’t Enforce the 12-Second Rule
- Umpire Joe West Rips Yankees and Red Sox
- Good Outing by Javier Vazquez Wasted in 2-0 Loss in Detroit
- Andy Pettitte Beats Twins, Mariano Rivera Gets 2 Saves in One Day
- John Flaherty YES Network announcer
- My Texas Rangers Manager Ron Washington Drug Opinion
- Congrats to CC SABATHIA 20 Game Winner
- Yu Darvish Shot in Texas Before Rangers Press Conference
- The League still fears the Yankees
- Barry Bonds Defends A-Rod
- Mark Teixeira Clutch HR, AJ Burnett’s Pitching Beat Indians
- Pettite beats Halladay
- Game 12: BoSox beat Yanks: Girardi and Mussina mistake
- To Mike Lupica and the MEDIA: HA!
- Greg Maddux retires
- Derek Jeter Umpire Call, Girardi
- AJ Burnett: 7 Runs, 2.1 Innings
- Game 122: KC Royals beat Mariano Rivera