Author and journalist Jon Heyman is awfully controversial. All he did was Tweet one line about Andy Petttitte, and it sparked such a flurry of hate and outrage: i think pettitte’s going to cooperstown for his great 1) consistency, 2) durability, 3) octobers, 4) explanation.
The stat head mutants online proceeded to attack both Heyman and Andy Pettitte, of course. Keep in mind, Heyman did not say he would vote for Andy, he just said Andy will probably get elected.
Here is a list of counterarguments to Heyman from the mutants:
1) Andy Pettitte is consistent. The main problem the stat heads have with Heyman is that he refused to vote for Bert Blyleven because Heyman said Bert was not dominant; he was just consistent. Therefore the stat heads’ brains imploded for Heyman to suggest Andy Pettitte will get voted into the Hall of Fame for consistency.
2) Durability. Yep, almost every year Andy Pettitte pitches around 200 inning a season, which is the watermark for durability. The only problem, according to stats heads, is that…yeah, here we go again- Bery Blyven pitched around 2,000 more innings than Pettitte.
3) Octobers. Here’s the thing- those geeky stat heads? – they don’t believe we should consider games played in October or achievements in October. Reasons? 1) Small sample size and 2) A player can be lucky by being on a winning team year after year (like Eric Hinske). The problem with that? 1) Andy Pettitte now has over 200 innnings pitched in October, and won 18 games with the same career ERA- Andy doesn’t choke, and he does the same thing he does all year- win; 2) Andy Pettitte is one of the reasons why the Yankees won 5 rings. Without Andy, I doubt they would win 5 rings; 3) Why shouldn’t be consider post-season play in October (and now November)? It’s the player’s ultimate goal…and…JOB to do well in the playoffs and win the World Series.
4) Explanation. Here, Jon Heyman is referring to Andy Pettitte’s admission of using HGH. Andy was forgiven by the MEDIA and the New York fans for using HGH. The stat heads say that there were too many holes in Andy’s story- and they are correct. But I hate to break the news to Andy’s critics: Andy could actually commit a serious crime, and we’d forgive him because of his “aw, shucks” personality and the fact that he feels guilty about doing the wrong thing (unlike other HGH/steroid users who either deny or do not face their accusers.) I agree with the stat heads that Andy’s explanation didn’t hold up…but…who cares?
Just to conclude this: Job Heyman did not say he would vote for Andy instead of Blyleven. If Andy Pettitte retired today, his raw career totals are similar to great pitchers like Kevin Brown, David Wells, Bob Welch, Doc Gooden, Orel Hershiser, Mike Mussina, and David Cone. His raw totals are also similar to Hall of Famers Catfish Hunter, Juan Marichal, Dazzy Vance, and Herb Pennock. But Andy has the edge in career value in that he won 5 World Championships and pitched in a hitter’s era. Pettitte is not on the same level as Randy Johnson or Tom Glavine, but Pettitte is Hall of Fame worthy.
Pettitte going in has nothing to do with do Bert Blyleven, who should had already been elected. I know what I and Heyman are saying is incomprehensible to close-minded people that just see things black and white, and who attack the messenger and ignore the message.
- 2010 Hall of Fame Ballot Picks
- Andy Pettitte is BACK! Big money 1-year deal!
- The Return of Andy Pettitte (11 Shutout Innings)
- 2011 Hall of Fame Voting Prediction
- Stat Head Yankees Fans are Panicking
- Andre Dawson Hall of Fame: My 2010 HOF Picks Opinion
- Hall of Fame Ballot Survey
- Will Andy Pettitte Retire?
- Andy Pettitte Retires on Friday February 4th
- Brian Cashman Confirms Andy Pettitte Retirement
- Manic Monday for Andy Pettitte
- Andy Pettitte Video
- DailyBalance Presents: Andy Pettitte
- Andy Pettitte Retires
- Andy Pettitte’s Back (For Real); Destroys Reds
- Andy Pettitte signs with Yankees finally
- Will Andy Pettitte and Joe Torre be together again (Dodgers rumor)
- 2009 World Series Game 6 Pictures
- Andy Pettitte supports Clemens’ accuser?
- Brian Cashman flies to Andy Pettitte