The Texas airwaves, radio shows, and internet message boards have been on fire since it was revealed that Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington tested positive for cocaine use last season, and he also admitted to smoke weed and took greenies back when he was a player. Ron Washington was not fired, as he went through Bud Selig’s rehab program. This was kept quiet by the Rangers last season, and Washington’s contract option was extended for 2010 since the Rangers did excellent last year.
Many fans and MEDIA talking heads rip Washington. They don’t believe he just snorted coke once, and they don’t think the Rangers should have kept him. They question if the Rangers players could respect him or listen to him as a manager. Many so-called journalists are calling for Ron Washington’s head even though he was previously known as a “good guy”. (Heck, I remember when Jason Giambi bought Ron Washington a new home after his previous one was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. ) Every Ron Washington news article says that Washington is 57-years old, like that’s supposed to make the slip of judgment even worse.
Based on what I know about humanity, age doesn’t mean a whole lot when it comes to making wrong decisions. When I first heard about the news, I felt pity for Mr. Washington. Not only did Washington get ridiculed the last couple of years from the Dallas MEDIA and fans for…well, let’s admit it- he’s a black man in a role as manager in Dallas. Now I have close friends in Dallas, and they’re not too shy about their dislike for Ron Washington, and it has nothing to do with Ron’s on-field decisions.
Now I’ll be honest with you- Washington is an old-school manager; he’s not into sabermetrics. And this pisses off the New Age baseball fans who think they know all about how baseball works.
Yes, it is pathetic that the Texas Rangers are once again involved with drugs (see Josh Hamilton, Jose Canseco, Juan Gonzalez, Pudge Rodriguez, George Bush, ETC.) I say this is a Dallas thing. Their own “fans” have no respect for the team. But for me to jump on the “let’s make fun of Ron Washington” bandwagon and make subtle racist jokes about a black man getting busted for coke? No way.
My open message to Ron Washington: I hope you are OK now and you stay away from drugs in the future. I hope you have a good year in the AL West.
Ron Washington haters should stop judging him, and should feel compassion for him. Fire him? Why? Why are managers even tested for drugs anyway? Who cares? This is an internal club matter. Tony LaRussa drunk driving is different- he could have killed someone, and instead got a Free Pass ™ by the MEDIA. Ron Washington may have not been fired by the Rangers but in the court of public opinion, Washington’s reputation is shot; and that’s just wrong. Yep, let’s just label a man’s entire life as a “coke head”. Does it make you feel better and superior to make fun of a person who made a mistake? I’m sure you can handle pressure so much better, right?
“Let he who is without sin, throw the first stone.”
- Did Mike Scioscia Deserve the AL Manager of the Year?
- Yankees Stage Dramatic Comeback vs Rangers in ALCS Game 1
- Texas Milton Bradley attacks Royals announcer Ryan Lefebvre
- Yu Darvish Shot in Texas Before Rangers Press Conference
- Cliff Lee’s Rangers Beat David Price’s Rays
- Andy Pettitte beats Rangers
- Is Nolan Ryan out of touch as president of Texas Ranger?
- Dallas Braden Perfect Game: A-Rod Looks Stupid Now
- DailySkew 2013 MLB Predictions
- Hideki Matsui walkoff Homerun
- ALCS DONE: Why Did the Yankees Lose to the Rangers?
- Sergio Mitre wins
- Josh Hamilton drunk photos
- Game 84: Texas Rangers win Yankees series
- Baseball News – February 2011
- CC Sabathia Destroys Rangers in Rain Shortened Game
- Rangers win series vs Yankees, Derek Jeter engaged to Minka Kelly?
- A-Roid: Alex Rodriguez Steroids
- Boones reunited in Washington
- Andy Pettitte Finishes Texas Rangers SWEEP