Brian Cashman cut ties with Yankees relief pitcher Brian Bruney. Brian Bruney was traded to the Washington Nationals of all places for a player to be named later (actually the Nationals’ first Rule 5 draft pick). Rule 5 draft picks are usually scrubs- players that are not protected on their MLB 40-man rosters (like IGAWA).
And so ends the New York Yankees career of Brian Bruney, which at times had such promise. This seems to be a purely financial move; Bruney made around $1.25 million last season in which he was on the DL a lot. He was arbitration eligible, and I guess Cashman had better things to do than invest the time and money in Bruney.
It’s probably the last time you’ll hear of Brian Bruney again, although it wouldn’t surprise me if he’ll take some pot-shots at Joe Girardi for not having confidence in him, like he did to Joe Torre.
I liked Bruney because he lost a lot of weight and turned his attitude around, but he really thought too highly of himself with little to show for it since he always wound up on the DL. It’s amazing how much his stock had fallen in the eyes of the Yankees and Yankees fans these past two years. There was a brief time when every Yankees fan – including myself- wanted him to be the setup man to Mariano Rivera.
Now he’s with the Nationals. Traded for nobody.
R.I.P Brian Bruney…I’m glad you got the ring.
- CC Sabathia squeaks by Nationals
- YES Steven Goldman wants to trade Derek Jeter
- Whatever Happened to 2010 Chien-Ming Wang?
- Boones reunited in Washington
- Eva Longoria
- Yankes trade 2 minor leagers for ERIC HINKSE
- Edwar Ramirez and Kei Igawa together again
- It’s 2021: Whatever Happened to Phil Hughes?
- Game 109: Angels 1, Yankees 0
- Brian Schneider – Mets new catcher
- CC Sabathia defeats Carmona
- Melky Cabrera
- Cashman to Trade Francisco Cervelli Due to Podcast
- Game 110: Mussina beats Angels, 8-2
- How Kyle Drabek is Keeping Doug Drabek’s Legacy Alive
- Mo Criticism Unwarranted
- Captain Clutch Jeter and Little Cody beat Rays
- Howard Johnson, Part I: The Tigers and Mets Trade
- Analyzing the Yankees-Pirates Xavier Nady Trade
- Yankees Trade Analysis: Lance Berkman, Austin Kearns, Kerry Wood