YES Network reporter Kim Jones was on WFAN this morning, talking sports. The reason why I bring this up is because she is Michael Kay’s spokeswoman, and Michael Kay is a “made man” in the multimedia corporation known as the YES Network. Kay and Jones are schills for the Steinbrenner Family, so much is revealed when they give their strong opinions about all things in the Yankees universe.
Here’s what Kim Jones said:
- She fully supports the Javier Vazquez-Melky Cabrera trade because he’s just a 4th starter and will give the Yankees innings. Things will be different this time around since expectations are lower for everyone. She predicted 12 wins and an ERA of 5.00, which is better than most 4th starters in the league. She also said don’t be surprised if Vazquez has a great year because he’s in the last year of his contract (Michael Kay has the same theory on athletes in their last year of their contracts; I read a study that showed no difference.)
- Kim Jones kinda slipped and said that Phil Hughes would be in the bullpen, and Joba Chamberlain would be the 5th starter. When it was pointed out that the move hasn’t been made yet, she corrected herself.
- Kim Jones said that the Yankees organization has the money to do anything they want, so don’t take Brian Cashman’s words as etched in stone (about not going after a big free agent left fielder). She said the Yanks get who they want if Cashman pitches the idea to Hal Steinbrenner. That being said, Kim Jones said the free agent market is much stronger in 2011 and the Yankees may go on a spending spree next year, not this year with Jason Bay or Matt Holliday.
As Tony Vahl reported this morning, the Yankees signed backup catcher Mike Rivera to a minor league contract. Rivera is a scrub; he’s just catcher insurance, so I don’t have a problem with that.
Just my last point about Javier Vazquez, the many posters in the baseball message board forums support the Melky trade, and say that the Yankees robbed the Braves. Only Yankees fans that remember Homerun Javy pitch in 2004 are against the trade. Keep in mind that Joba Chamberlain had an ERA of 4.75 last year, and the world almost collapsed because of it. I wonder where all of Javy’s defenders will be if he has an ERA of 5 at the end of May or when he gets his clock cleaned in Boston the first time. I also don’t feel comfortable with him getting post-season games. I mean, Javy is like an ex-boyfriend or ex-girlfriend that you call back and you know you shouldn’t have.
Again, I want Javy to do well, but I shall not hold my breath. I’m just saying: A.J. Burnett has had a better career than Javy and I get frustrated with Burnett. When people say “Javier is the 4th starter, no pressure” that’s bull crap. Once the season starts, being the 4th starter is just as important as 1-3; the 4th starter doesn’t get skipped, and for most teams, the 4th starter does pitch in the post-season.
- Yankees Trade Melky Cabrera for JAVIER VAZQUEZ! NOOOOOOOOOOO
- David Price Destroys Javier Vazquez and Yankees
- Angels win Yankees series; Javier Vazquez Sucks; Girardi Mistake
- Javier Vazquez Marlins, Juan Miranda Diamondbacks
- Stat Head Yankees Fans are Panicking
- Good Outing by Javier Vazquez Wasted in 2-0 Loss in Detroit
- Twins Cream Yankees’ Vazquez, Park, and Gaudin, Michael Kay Sucks
- An Open Apology to Javier Vazquez
- Yanks Nick Swisher Breaks Out Against Oakland
- Javier Vazquez Sucks; Curtis Granderson DL?
- Melky Cabrera, Hideki Matsui, and Johnny Damon Reconsidered
- Phil Hughes Joins 2010 Yankees Starting Rotation
- Javier Vazquez Loses Again
- Andy Pettitte Finishes Texas Rangers SWEEP
- Angry CC Sabathia Goes 8 Innings; Randy Winn HR Sinks Orioles
- What is the Jones Act?
- Ivan Nova Scouting Report: Rising Star?
- Orioles Squeak by Yankees; Win 4th Game of Season
- Kevin Russo, Javier Vazquez Beat Mets! Michael Kay/Al Leiter Talk Trash
- Baseball news items