Michael Kay pretty much said that Girardi wants extra speed off the bench in the post-season and therefore AAA journeyman Freddy Guzman will be on the 2009 Yankees post-season roster. The reasoning for this is that a fast guy can wreak havoc on the basepaths in the late innings. Obviously Guzman and Brett Gardner can increase the chances of scoring a winning run in a tight game. But is this fair? The Yankees can only select 25 men in each post-season series. Is it fair for a September call up who can’t hit a lick like Guzman to make the roster? Let’s take a look at MY 25-men and see:
1. CC Sabathia
2. Andy Pettitte
3. A.J. Burnett
4. Mariano Rivera
5. Phil Hughes
6. Joba Chamberlain [Some people don't believe he should even make the roster]
7. Alfredo Aceves
8. Phil Coke
9. Dave Robertson* (if his arm is okay)
10.Chad Gaudin [Girardi may disagree]
11. Brian Bruney
12. Derek Jeter
14. Mark Teixeira
15. Robinson Cano
16. Jorge Posada
17. Hideki Matsui
18. Johnny Damon
19. Melky Cabrera
20. Brett Gardner
21. Nick Swisher
22. Jose Molina
23. Eric Hinkse [Girardi may disagree]
24. Jerry Hairston, Jr [Girardi may disagree]
25. ???????????? Here are the candidates: Freddy Guzman, Fransisco Cervelli, Ramiro Pena, Brian Bruney, Sergio Mitre, Damaso Marte
Let’s go over these 8 guys for the last 3 roster spots. Which three would you choose?
Hinkse: Solid bat with some pop but never was used because of his poor defense. Veteran professional. Would be used as a pinch-hitter or emergency replacement in the outfield or 3B.
Hairston, Jr: Mr. Versatlity- can play any position. The problem is he is too “nice” and gets “nervous” under pressure. Not to mention he can’t really hit, and his wrist hurts. Would be used as a defensive replacement in case ANYONE got injured,
Guzman: Second fastest person on the team but can’t hit or field- just RUN. Would be used as a late inning pinch runner. He’s an outfielder.
Cervelli- Everyone’s favorite third-string catcher. Would be used if Jorge was DH and Molina was catching, and Gardner or Guzman pinch ran for Molina..or if Jorge or Molina got hurt or ejected. Most teams do not carry 3 catchers in the post-season since the series are so short.
Pena- Everyone’s favorite light-hitting utility infielder. He can run fine and is great with the glove. He would be used as a defensive replacement or pinch runner.
Bruney- Seems to be getting better. Girardi may put him on the roster instead of Hinkse anyway or if Robertson can’t make it due to injury.
Mitre- Innings eater/mopup.
Marte- OK against lefties since returning from DL. Is he worth a spot on the roster to just get one lefty out? Most experts say that Girardi MUST carry two lefties in a short series- Coke and Marte.
I would choose Pena for the last spot.
My Joe Girardi Prediction:
He will choose to use 3 starters and carry Joba as a relief pitcher:
12. Hairston, Jr.
SPORTS BETTING PICKS- GUARANTEED YES- Your winners are guaranteed!
- 2009 Yankees postseason roster ALDS
- 2009 Yankees World Series Roster Changes
- Yankees beat Twins, win 5th series in a row
- MLB 2012: Second Wild Card Makes Things Exciting
- SHOULD A.J. Burnett have pitched on 3-day’s rest? (AJ Burnett SUCKS)
- Joba Rules- Yankees win 8th in a row
- Yankees clinch post-season with win over Angels
- Yanks beat Angels at their own game
- Angels come back again to beat Yanks
- CC Sabathia-David Price Classic Ruined by Girardi and Mitre
- Joe Girardi and Joba Chamberlain: Promises
- Yankees Mid-Season Report Card
- 2009-2010 Yankees Free Agents
- Phil Hughes Joins 2010 Yankees Starting Rotation
- AJ Burnett, Brett Gardner, A-Rod Beat Rangers
- A.J. hot again, Yanks win Angels series in LA
- Swisher, Cano, Jeter, AJ crush Rays
- Hideki Matsui walkoff Homerun
- Sergio Mitre beats Mariners, Jeter and Swisher HR
- What happened at Yankees Front Office Meeting Thursday