With all of the hate and frustration that umpires get from fans, players, and the MEDIA in 2009, let’s step into the time machine to 1909, where journeyman Dave Altizer was a victim of a joke by his third base coach (Nick Altrock), opposing players, AND the homeplate umpire.
After you read this story (as told by the umpire) ask yourself: when did MLB get so darn serious? This story from 1909 would never happen in 2009 because players and umpires have been trained to be politically correct and to stay in their expected roles. Bud Selig would probably reprimand and fine the players, coach, and umpire for this prank in 2009. Some may believe this story reflects an ugly part of baseball history- it shows a bunch of guys acting like amateurs and clowning around, but on the other hand it really shows some personality and is harmless entertainment. Read the small article called “Hell Bent for Dejection”:
Article courtesy of Baseball Digest, July 1945.
Read about the sports betting system that never lost a series in the 2009 MLB season- Click Here
- Dave Eiland SHOCKER: Signs with Rays as a SPY [REAL]
- Stolen Victory
- Umpire Joe West Rips Yankees and Red Sox
- Wells: "I’m a victim"
- Josh Beckett Is Slow and the Umpires Don’t Enforce the 12-Second Rule
- Game 52: LaTroy Hawkins Sucks
- Armando Galarraga’s Almost Perfect Game, Umpire Jim Joyce, Bud Selig Doesn’t Reverse Call
- So What’s Wrong With CC Sabathia?
- 2010 Hall of Fame Non-Player Candidates
- Ken Rosenthal’s 2010 Baseball Picks
- Baseball Gifts for Coaches
- Bud Selig running background checks on MLB umpires
- Willie Randolph hired as Brewers bench coach
- Michael Kay: Illegal Cap Makes Cliff Lee a Cheater
- Pro wrestling
- Where is Dave Eiland? RUMOR: EILAND IS IN REHAB
- Credit Score
- Mets under Jerry Manuel: Same old Mets
- DailySkew Interview: Leo Mazzone
- Bret Saberhagen wins award