first, congratulations to Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter, and Mark Teixeira for putting on a great show at the 2009 All-Star Game.
Okay, here is the Official DailySkew Yankees Report Card. Grades are assigned based on overall production vs other players in the league, expectations, playing time, and improvement (or regression) from last year.
Yankees 25-Man Roster
Mark Teixeira: A- His only flaw is his streakiness.
Derek Jeter: A- I thought he was getting old, but his stats show he’s still one of the best SS.
Johnny Damon: B+ His new power is from taking advantage of New Yankee Stadium.
Jorge Posada: B His hamstring injury slowed his bat down this year, but he’s still a top catcher.
Alex Rodriguez: B Was on the DL for so long, but his HR + Walk stats are super.
Melky Cabrera: B He started hot but tailed off like the 4th outfielder he is. Great D. and clutch.
Hideki Matsui: B When he’s healthy he’s a great DH.
Brett Gardner: B He has shown that he may become Brett Butler or Chuck Knoblauch one day.
Nick Swisher: B- Started off looking like Babe Ruth, but regressed back to his normal stats.
Robinson Cano: B- I thought he had everything solved in April, but he isn’t still consistent.
Jose Molina: D+ Was on the DL.
Cody Ransom: F This was his chance to step up. He will regret if for the rest of his life.
Eric Hinkse: Incomplete.
CC Sabathia: B+ The workhorse has yet to become a stud like Roy Halladay this year.
A.J. Burnett: B What a streaky guy. I think it’s all based on what he’s feeling a given day.
Andy Pettitte: C Andy is Andy, but he hasn’t pitched well at New Yankee Stadium at all.
Joba Chamberlain: C- A 5-inning pitcher with good overall stats for a 4th starter.
Chien-Ming Wang: F Revealed to be a head-case and a slow healer.
Mariano Rivera: A Heeeeeeeeee’s baaaaaaack.
Alfredo Aceves: A- Should have made the team out of Spring Training; guy is great.
Phil Hughes: B+ Couldn’t get it together as a starter in a few starts, but is a bullpen stopper.
Phil Coke: C Better than Marte as lefty specialist, but Coke was supposed to be much better.
David Robertson: C- He may have a good ERA + K’s, but he walks too many and gives up HRs.
Brian Bruney: D Looks like he will be bouncing on and off the DL for the bulk of his career.
Brett Tomko: D Mop it up, buddy. Mop it up.
Jonathon Albaledejo: D+ Has become cannon fodder, with sparks of being good. Was in AAA.
Mark Melancon: Incomplete.
- Yankees 2009 pitching rotation and Yankees bullpen
- Will Andy Pettitte Retire?
- Forgettable Texas Yankees game
- Angels come back again to beat Yanks
- 2010 Yankees Mid-Season Report Card (All-Star Break)
- Carl Pavano vs Phil Hughes
- Yankees sell Darrell Rasner to Japan
- Mets Nieve beats Andy Pettitte
- Phil Hughes Joins 2010 Yankees Starting Rotation
- Yankees bullpen 2009
- 2013 Yankees July Report
- A-Rod Hot, Mariano Rivera #502
- Mark Teixeira Slump: What’s Up With That?
- SHOULD A.J. Burnett have pitched on 3-day’s rest? (AJ Burnett SUCKS)
- Andy Pettitte Beats Twins, Mariano Rivera Gets 2 Saves in One Day
- Phil Hughes Unstoppable, as Yanks Tame Tigers 8-0
- Joba Chamblerlain outduels Edwin Jackson Yanks SWEEP Tigers
- 2013 Yankees All Star Break Report
- The 2012 Yankees at the All-Star Break Report
- Andy Pettitte beats A’s; Giambi returns