AJ Burnett stayed hot even though he didn’t have his wicked stuff, and hung tough for 7 innings, limiting the Minnesota Twins to only 2 runs. A-Rod and Brett Gardner were the heroes. Phil Coke, who had been hot, gave up a solo shot to allow the Twins to reach within on run. Phil Hughes did OK in the 8th (hit), but Joe Girardi wanted to nail things down, so Mariano Rivera easily got the 1-2-3-4.
This was a solid well earned victory for the Yankees. Imagine if they won a few games from the Red Sox this year- they would be 2 to 4 games up. Right now the Yanks are sitting on top of the Wild Card and are 1 game out. Either way it looks like the Yanks will be in the October mix barring any freak injuries like last year.
Jose Molina’s back. Bye, bye Francisco Cervelli. See you in September. Bye the way, the Eric Hinkse trade really seems odd so far. Girardi knows he can’t field 3rd base- he may have read DailySkew baseball (Joe played Cody Ransom there on A-Rod’s day off, who made another mental lapse), so he’s the 5th outfielder. I guess he’s a pinch hitter right now, but for who? Brett Gardner wreaks havoc on the bases and Melky Cabrera is a clutch god in the 9th inning. I guess Hinkse would be pinch hitting for Molina. Sees like a waste of resources at this moment, especially since Ramiro Pena had a good glove and pinch running capabilities, i.e. more flexibility off of the bench.
Maybe Hinkse is an insurance policy if one of the outfielders go down or need rest.
- What is the Yankees post-season roster? My picks…
- Yankees SWEEP Twins
- Nationals beat Yanks 3-2
- Angels come back again to beat Yanks
- Yankees beat Twins in ALDS Game 2: Mark Teixeira walk off HR
- MELKY, Gardner CLUTCH
- Game 83: Mussina loses to Texas Rangers 2-1
- CC Sabathia-David Price Classic Ruined by Girardi and Mitre
- Yanks win SIX in a row
- 2009 Yankees World Series Roster Changes
- Phil Hughes No Hitter in Oakland
- What happened at Yankees Front Office Meeting Thursday
- AJ Burnett, Brett Gardner, A-Rod Beat Rangers
- Game 57: Twins beat Farnsworth and Yankees, 6-5
- 2009 Yankees postseason roster ALDS
- Yankees clinch post-season with win over Angels
- Secret Confessions from a Yankees Fan (2010)
- Swisher, Cano, Jeter, AJ crush Rays
- Game 124: Yankees clobber Royals 15-6
- A-Rod Grand Slam Highlights Dramatic Win vs Twins