The YES Network made is seem like embattled Yankees pitcher Chien Ming Wang reported that his shoulder felt bad during a throwing session, and he probably won’t be coming off the DL anytime soon. Michael Kay speculated that his season will be lost. So the question is who will replace Wang for the rest of the season; who will the Yankees 5th starter be?
First, the two non-candidates:
Phil Hughes and Alfredo Aceves are WAY too important in the 2009 Yankees bullpen to be moved at this point.
Sergio Mitre will be getting the start first. Sergio not only had Tommy John surgery, but he was also suspended 50 games for using androstenedione. Career numbers: 10-23, 5.36. Sergio has pitched well in 9 started in AAA this year. [UPDATE: Sergio won his first start.]
Kei Igawa: Why not? He’s 7-3 3.70 in AAA, with no run support. The Yanks are still paying him millions. Of course, he’s an embarrassment to Brian Cashman, who does not want to see or hear from him again.
Brett Tomko: This guy’s really a starter, folks. I’m sure he can keep his ERA around 5.70, which is what 5th starters do anyway. [UPDATE: Tomko was designated for assignment before the start of tonight's game.]
Josh Towers: The former Orioles prospect is in AAA, just begging to be called up and eat some innings.
Frankly, if Cashman opts to go with these internal options, I’d be okay with that. Maybe rotate them out based on performance.
Roy Halladay- Cashman would have to trade everybody to get him.
Cliff Lee- The Indians are taking offers for the 2008 Cy Young Award winner, and the Yanks would probably have to give up prospects PLUS Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes to get him.
Jason Marquis- Having his best year since 2004, he is doing fine with the Rockies now.
Ian Snell- Pirates schlock who was demoted to AAA. Had one OK season in 2007. Yanks wouldn’t have to trade much to get him, maybe some AA scrubs.
Jarrod Washburn- Always a trade rumor for the Yanks, Washburn is still living off his ONE good year in 2002.
Mike Mussina- would need 1-2 months to get ready.
Paul Byrd- Would probably listen to a deal.
Odalis Perez- Blacklisted for no-showing the Nationals in 2008, he has a career ERA of 4.46.
Mark Mulder- Of Hudson, Mulder, and Zito from the A’s. Always injured, he’s itching for a comeback.
Tom Glavine- He’s ready, but can he pitch well?
Oil Can Boyd- Will work for free.
- 2011 Yankees: Freddy Garcia, Bartolo Colon, Mark Prior
- Brian Cashman Interview: No More Joba Rules
- Phil Hughes Unstoppable, as Yanks Tame Tigers 8-0
- 2010 Yankees Trade Rumors and Free Agent Signings
- 2010 Yankees 5th Starter Spring Training Update
- Kim Jones Talks About Yankees Trades on WFAN
- Mitre fails against White Sox
- Brian Cashman Confirms Andy Pettitte Retirement
- Phil Hughes Joins 2010 Yankees Starting Rotation
- Sergio Mitre wins
- Brian Cashman and Joe Girardi on 2010 Yankees
- Cashman Trades Jesus Montero for Michael Pineda, Signs Hiroki Kuroda
- 2012 Yankees Pitching Staff: Seven Guys?
- Will Roy Halladay be Traded to Yankees for Joba Chamberlain?
- Brian Cashman Resigns Freddy Garcia For One Year
- 2011 A.J. Burnett is Actually Having a Better Year than 2010 AJ
- Joe Girardi and Joba Chamberlain: Promises
- Yankees 2009 Starting Rotation
- Yankees bullpen 2009
- Yankees win 3/4 from A’s