The Yankees held on to defeat the Seattle Mariners thanks to Mariano Rivera and some late inning clutch hitting by Melky Cabrera and Derek Jeter after Brian Bruney blew the 8th inning.
The Yankees hitters choked all night with runners in scoring position, but finally blew it open in the 8th.
Joba Chamberlain was OK again. We saw a typical Joba game: 5.1 innings, 3 runs, 96 pitches. That’s OK for a 5th starter, and that’s what his role was pencilled in as this year anyway…time to lower expectations before each start, folks.
Phul Hughes looked fantastic in the 7th.
Anyway, A-Rod had a great HR, and it was cool seeing Ken Griffey, Jr. back in a Mariners uniform. He sure aged…but that’s life.
Ichiro was in vintage form last night- he got cheap infield hits and stole 2nd, 3rd, and came home. He makes baseball look so easy.
Mariano Rivera threw out the first pitch- he didn’t want to, but he was coerced. The fans gave him a great tribute and he was embrassed, but he was touched on the inside. He told his friends that it would be funny if he threw out the first pitch and the last pitch; his prediction came true with a 1-2-3 9th for his 501st save.
- Game 58: Blue Jays outlast Yankees Joba Chamberlain, bullpen
- Game 115: Mike Mussina shuts down Texas
- The Mariano Rivera Wild Pitch
- Game 118: Angels SWEEP Yankees at Anaheim
- Derek Jeter’s HR, Mariano Rivera Saves Game vs Twins
- Phil Hughes makes his bullpen debut as Yanks beat Rays
- Opening Night: Red Sox beat Yankees; Chan Ho Park
- Game 65: Wang beats A’s, 3-1
- Mariano Rivera 500 saves, RBI, Yanks SWEEP Mets
- Joba strikes back, beats Rays
- Red Sox fans complaining about Joba, umpires, and Yankees
- Game 68: Joba solid in 2-1 Yanks win over Astros
- Game 122: KC Royals beat Mariano Rivera
- Game 97: Yankees beat Oakland A’s in 12 innings
- Game 50: Yankees rally to sweep Mariners, 6-5
- Mariano Rivera strikes back at Rays
- Andy Pettitte Beats Twins, Mariano Rivera Gets 2 Saves in One Day
- Game 40: Rays beat Mariano Rivera
- Ichiro beats Mariano Rivera in Seattle
- Game 114: Sidney Ponson beats Texas Rangers