When Derek Jeter was interviewed last week amidst the Yankees National League slump, he said a baseball season has its peaks and valleys, and the Yanks are just playing through a bad stretch, but thing will start to pick up.
Things have picked up.
Watching the ineptitude of the Mets last night made me feel happy. Not because I “hate” the Mets, but because the Baseball Gods of Flushing were in full force last night. It made me feel that baseball was more than stats, peaks, and valleys. Made me believe the Mets curse was still alive.
Three errors at the beginning of the game, Mike Pelfrey’s high pitch count, allowing CC Sabathia to get an RBI single, a double-A first baseman who had seen a psychologist after getting sent down from Spring Training, a screen graphic showing that the Mets have half the team on the DL, a rain delay…yeah…welcome to Queens, NY.
Suffice to say the Yanks really shined last night- Brett Gardner 5-6 (triple, HR, 3 singles, stolen base)! Pretty ironic because I was reading a stats head forum where they ripped Joe Girardi for benching Nick Swisher a a few games and playing Gardner.
A-Rod now has more homeruns than Reggie Jackson, and he seems more mobile at 3B.
Ramiro Pena- subbing for Derek- had a great game with the bat and the glove.
CC Sabathia was dominant- actually was throwing a perfect game for a while. Heck, the Mets made BRETT TOMKO look great for 2 shut-out innings!
Final score 9-1. Doesn’t necessarily mean the Yanks are going to bully the Mets all weekend, but it does give us a glimpse into the two teams when one team has all cylinders on, and another team looks like a lost submarine with no one at the helm.
- Johan Santana KO’s CC Sabathia; Mets Win 2010 Subway Series
- Yankees SWEEP Twins
- Game 83: Mussina loses to Texas Rangers 2-1
- Mariano Rivera 500 saves, RBI, Yanks SWEEP Mets
- CC Sabathia destroys Angels in ALCS Game 4, Yanks bats score 10
- CC Sabathia Flirts with No-Hitter, Yanks Kills Rays 10-0
- CC Sabathia outduels Dice-K, Yankees Magic Number is 1
- CC Sabathia denied 20th win
- Yanks Sweep Orioles Behind A-Rod and CC Sabathia; Dave Trembley Fired
- CC Sabathia Destroys Rangers in Rain Shortened Game
- Mike Pelfrey Beats Phil Hughes; Mets Take Game 2
- Game 89: Brett Gardner beats Red Sox
- Nationals beat Yanks 3-2
- CC Sabathia-David Price Classic Ruined by Girardi and Mitre
- Joba, bats come to life
- Yankees Mid-Season Report Card
- Worst team in baseball?
- Yanks Crush Red Sox 14-3; Teixeira 3 Homeruns
- Vintage Derek Jeter Powers Yanks over White Sox
- MARCUS THAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!