Although American MEDIA doesn’t promote it as much as I’d like (besides the MLB Network), I just want to say I have been enjoying the games. The fans in Puerto Rico, Japan, and Mexico, for instance, are very intense.
The American (and Canadian) MEDIA and some Major League Baseball clubs, like the New York Yankees, don’t like the WBC because it interferes with Spring Training, exposes players to injuries, and forces the pitchers to work harder at this time in the year (especially in the cold). The Yanks come off as crybabies.
However, for fans from or in Puerto Rico, Mexico, Japan, China, Korean, Netherlands, Italy, Venezuela, Cuba, Australia, Dominican Republic, South Africa, and Panama winning (and losing) is a matter of pride. Fidel Castro watches these games closely. Japan losing to Korea 1-0 was disgraceful to Japanese citizens. Unlike the U.S. mentality, foreign fans don’t believe these are “exhibition games” (and they’re not).
I think the WBC is a good thing for MLB- the games have meaning and are highly competitive, and they get international exposure. It’s also a great way for minor leaguers, fringe players, and free agents to get exposure and to get paid.
The WBC can be seen on ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, and MLB.TV, with full coverage on the MLB Network and MLB.Com. Due to the unusual start times in some cases, I can understand not every baseball fan watching the games, but you can at least follow it on TV, MLB.com, or newspaper.
- Baseball news (March 18, 2009)
- Heath Bell attacks ESPN
- Sell Out: David Wells becomes a member of the MEDIA
- Dice-K Sucks
- Mexico Dentist
- Yes, Earl Weaver Was One of the Greatest Baseball Managers of All Time
- ESPN Opening Day LaRussa "Coverage"
- WWE: Return of Vince McMahon
- Family Friendly Red Sox: Mainstream Sox Fans
- Internet network wireless routers
- Male Enhancement Commercials During Baseball
- Cashman Forced to Talk About Igawa; Japan Quake Killed Albaladejo?
- Why Was Stan Musial Underrated by the Media?
- ESPN Yankees vs Red Sox Opening Night Production
- Bobby Valentine Marlins Manager? Buck Showalter Orioles Manager?
- Yanks Sweep Orioles Behind A-Rod and CC Sabathia; Dave Trembley Fired
- Nomar Garciaparra Retires: Career Retrospective
- ESPN to demote Joe Morgan?
- Umpire plays joke on player
- Disgruntled Internet Fans Fire Joe Morgan from ESPN