The stripper: Bret Hart and Chris Jericho’s books both described the appeal of hanging out with strippers because of the similar lifestyle- both careers are fantasy based, and require the stripper and wrestler to “work” their clients. Also, both professions are based on image, and age is the killer. Strippers also have a code, like wrestlers do. The stripper can also represent WWE’s divas, who are used for sex appeal only, and fired when used up.
The daughter: The most obvious analogue was Jake “The Snake” Roberts’ daughter from Beyond the Mat, although many children of wrestlers have the same argument.
The name: There were around 16 wrestlers, managers, or referees that have the name “Randy”, with Randy Savage and Randy Orton topping the list.
Randy’s visual look: A tanned bleached blond, Randy fits in the Superstar Billy Graham, Ricky Morton, Van Hammer, Diamond Dallas Page, Jerry Lynn, Tommy Rich, Michael Hayes, and an older version of Chris Jericho (especially with the green tights).
The respect: The backstage brotherhood reminded me of the way Ric Flair was treated in recent years in WWE.
The steroids: All wrestlers have said that steroids are readily available from body builders at gyms.
The tanning salon: Lanny Poffo recently told Wade Keller’s Pro Wrestling Torch that when he was older and was signed by WCW, he took steroids and went to the tanning salon to get his look back quickly. He also used the hair coloring.
The finishing maneuver: The jump off the top turnbuckle was similar to Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka’s move. In fact, when Snuka wrestles at gyms now, the fans demand that he go to the top regardless of his age or condition.
Autograph session: Something any independent wrestling fan has seen- short lines for the older guys, VHS tapes, and embarrassing.
The Ayatollah: Based on the Iron Shiek, but not a direct copy.
The Ram’s popularity in the 1980′s: Based on the wrestling magazines at the beginning of the movie, it seems that The Ram was as big of a draw as Randy Savage, Lex Luger, or Jimmy Snuka.
Wrestling at small arenas after the spotlight has past: Many wrestlers still do that, including everyone I mentioned in this post.
Hardcore: Obviously Mick Foley (Cactus Jack).
Randy’s real last name being Polish: Rob Van Dam’s real name is Robert Szatkowski.
Retirement and speech to fans: Terry Funk’s 1997 “retirement” in Beyond the Mat.
- WWE: Return of Vince McMahon on RAW was great
- RIP Randy Savage Dead: Things You Didn’t Know About Macho Man
- Wrestler Profile: Zeus (Tiny Lister, Jr.)
- Pro Wrestling and Steroids
- Randy Savage’s Father Angelo Poffo Dies
- What Comes After Jump the Shark? New WWE Champion The Miz
- Pro wrestling
- David Cone likes Harley Race
- Umaga Died – Former WWE Star Eddie Fatu Dies of Heart Attack
- Larry Zbyszko Overrated or Larry Zbyszko Underrated
- Preview: Greydog’s TEW2013 Wrestling Simulation
- WWF Wrestling Challenge 1986
- John Cena Steroids A-Rod Jail
- Wrestling Deadpool List: Which Wrestler Will Die Next?
- Sgt Slaughter vs The Iron Sheik
- Why Do People Believe Ric Flair is Overrated?
- What Makes a Successful Pro Wrestler?
- 2010 WWE Year End Review (Oh, and TNA, too)
- Vince McMahon Rebrands WWE: We Can’t Say “Wrestling” Anymore
- Wrestler Andrew Martin (Test) is dead