Brian Cashman didn’t hesitate to outbid the Atlanta Braves to grab Yankees killer A.J. Burnett. ESPN is reporting something like a five-year, $82.5 million contract ($16.5 million per year).
As a Yankees fan, I’m happy and sad- happy that we don’t have to face this strikeout artist, and in theory it makes the 2009 pitching staff 100% better than last year, but sad that A.J., 32, more than likely will be headed to the DL a lot of times during the next 5 years.
Well, I already did an analysis about A.J. Burnett, and I concluded he was a high risk free agent due to his injuries and due to his high ERA last year when not facing the Yankees.
But, hey, it’s not my money the Yanks are blowing, it’s Steinbrenner’s.
It looks like Cashman learned his lesson about pitching staffs- he is going to have 6-7 guys next year to fill in and cover for each other if 2-3 pitchers head to the DL.
I’d say that is a good plan.
- Yankees and Red Sox: AJ Burnett Bidding War
- Brian Cashman flies to Andy Pettitte
- Pedro Martinez still unemployed, talking with Indians, Pirates, Marlins?
- Should the Yankees re-sign Hiroki Kuroda?
- 2011 A.J. Burnett is Actually Having a Better Year than 2010 AJ
- Red Sox Sign John Lackey for $85 million over 5 years
- Andy Pettitte signs with Yankees finally
- Is A.J. Burnett Overrated?
- 2013 Yankees Moves: No Catcher, Re-Sign Pitching
- Yanks Cut Wang
- Worst Yankees Pitchers: Overpaid Busts, Chokers, Goats: Where Does A.J. Burnett Rank?
- Yankees pass on Giambi, Abreu, Pettitte…for now
- Dave Eiland Comes Clean: Drugs, Sex, Firing
- Yankees resign Damaso Marte three-years, $12 million
- Will Roy Halladay be Traded to Yankees for Joba Chamberlain?
- Brian Cashman Resigns Freddy Garcia For One Year
- Cashman Trades Jesus Montero for Michael Pineda, Signs Hiroki Kuroda
- White Sox 14 Yankees 4
- NY Yankees Bid Farewell to Damaso Marte
- Do the Tampa Bay Rays Make Brian Cashman Overrated?