In what will surely go down into the annals of Mets history as a free agent bust, K-Rod will be with the New York Mets for at least 3 years (three-year, $37 million deal with a fourth-year option based on performance).
K-Rod, 26, set the single season save record with 62 for the 2008 Angels. He is in his prime, and has the stats and stuff which put him on track to be one of the best closers in history.
So why am I so negative?
K-Rod is cocky, arrogant, and thinks he’s better than everyone else. He’s an Angel, and always will be an Angel.
K-Rod is no different to me (as a former Mets fan) than Armando Benitez, Braden Looper, or Billy Wagner: a big name closer who ultimately will not translate into a World Championship.
K-Rod will most certainly be compared to Mariano Rivera, the greatest closer in New York history, on an everyday basis. It’s very possible if K-Rod gets off on a good save streak that the press will anoint K-Rod the best closer in baseball. But to me, K-Rod is just a pretender to the throne, no matter how many K’s he gets or how many saves he piles up.
Mets GM Omar Minaya is being praised by everyone for signing K-Rod to a fair deal (although it is the highest of any closer, including Mariano). All this does is raise the expectations for the Mets to win, but they won’t. I mean, the Mets will have K-Rod, Johan Santana, David Wright, and a bunch of other big names and still won’t win the World Series ring.
It should be noted that the former single-save record holder, Bobby Thigpen, was never the same after he had 57 saves. And John Smoltz and Eric Gagne had to have surgery when they came close.
In other words, K-Rod will not close to duplicating his 2008 season, and will probably be spending time on the DL.
You heard it here first.
Mark it down.
- Mariano Rivera: Still and Always the Best Closer
- K-Rod Arrested for Hitting Father-in-Law
- Mariano Rivera 500 saves, RBI, Yanks SWEEP Mets
- Jonathan Papelbon wants to close All-Star game instead of Mariano Rivera
- Mike Pelfrey Beats Phil Hughes; Mets Take Game 2
- Pettitte beats Cliff Lee
- Loyal Mets Fans Internet Grassroot Apple Attachment
- Nate Silver Predicts Yankees Collapse
- Fox: No Respect for Mo
- Bill James on Doc Gooden 1991
- Cliff Lee wins 2008 AL Cy Young Award
- Mets Owner Wilpon Regrets the Way Willie was Fired
- Johan Santana bombs at Shea debut: Mets fans BOO
- Mets to Doc Gooden: Go away
- Lastings Milledge Speaks about Mets
- Game 120: A-Rod’s HR beats Twins in 12th inning
- Armando Benitez Minor League
- MLB Teams Going to the Post Season
- John Wetteland hospitalized
- Kubel’s Grand Slam Off Rivera Ends Streak