First of all GM Brian Cashman has went on record and said he is ruling no one out. That includes possible comebacks by Andy Pettitte (strong chance) and Carl Pavano (slim chance).
Mike Mussina is deciding if he wants to retire and go out a 20-game winner, or to come back to the Yanks next season. Gossip columns report that Moose told friends and family “I’m done”. So the ball is in The Moose’s court, and Cashman said he was willing to work with him.
Cashman is looking hard at Scott Boras free agent 1B Mark Teixeira, who wants a 10-year deal. Jason Giambi has not been crossed out yet, but is a last resort.
As expected A.J. Burnett has opted out of his old Blue Jays contract, and the Jays and Yanks- among other teams- will probably be in the mix.
The C.C. Sabathia to Yankees dream has already come to a quick end as C.C. has went on the record to say he’d rather stay in the National League.
The Yankees now turn to the San Diego Padres’ Jake Peavy- the 2007 NL Cy Young Award winner. (The problem with Peavy is that he plays in the most extreme pitcher’s ball park in San Diego, which skew his performance.) Peavy is still under contract, and the Padres have put him on the trading block. The Yanks would have to cough up some combination of Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, or #1 prospect outfielder Austin Jackson.
Many Yankees fans want the them trade for left-fielder Matt Holliday of the Colorado Rockies. That would take some players, maybe even Robinson Cano and pitching. The Dodgers look to go after Manny Ramirez, but Hank Steinbrenner said “I like Manny”. What to do with Johnny Damon if that happens?
Holliday is a pipe-dream, though. And the sad part was before the Brewers exercised his option for 2009, many published reports had said the Yanks were going after the Brewers (and former Mets, Reds, and Mariners) oldster Mike Cameron (centerfield) for Melky Cabrera.
Ivan Pudge Rodriguez looks like a failed trade deadline acquisition, and Jorge Posada doesn’t want him back. So who will backup Jose Molina?
Coaching staff: The New York Post had an exclusive report:
Tony Pena will move from 1st base to the dugout, to be manager Joe Girardi’s bench coach.
With Larry Bowa deciding to stay with Joe Torre in LA, the Yanks moved Rob Thomson from bench coach to 3B. They promoted Mick Kelleher, minor league defensive coordinator, to coach 1B.
Coaching staff is still weak, in my book.
- Yankees scouting Victor Zambrano
- Where Will Cliff Lee Sign? (Mystery Team REVEALED)
- Where Are They Now? The 1998 Yankees in 2011
- Willie Randolph hired as Brewers bench coach
- Game 72: A-Rod powers Yankees over Padres
- Ozzie Guillen vs Don Cooper
- Bret Saberhagen wins award
- Mets are done, and Pedroia is a pedophile
- Sergio Mitre wins
- Will Andy Pettitte and Joe Torre be together again (Dodgers rumor)
- I don’t believe…what I just saw
- Damian Hospital’s 2010 Baseball Predictions
- Why the 2008 Yankees are set
- Mel Stottlemyre laid off from Mariners
- Brian Cashman’s First 2011 Yankees Moves
- 2010 Yankees Trade Rumors and Free Agent Signings
- Former Yankees 2B Chuck Knoblauch arrested for hitting wife
- CC SABATHIA signs with Yankees?
- Cashman Rips Mets Over Feliciano; Attacks ‘Psychotic’ Fans
- 2008 MLB Postseason Playoffs Schedule, Matchups, Predictions