Yankees GM Brian Cashman bought out lefty-specialist Damaso Marte’s old contract (which had an option $6 million) for $250,000, and then resigned him for $12 million dollars over three year, plus an option.
Marte, 33, came over in the trade that landed the Yankees Xavier Nady from the Pirates. He stunk up the joint by choking in New York (1-3, 5.40 ERA, 18.1 innings in 25 games). Frankly, I wouldn’t give a lefty-specialist $4 million dollars. It’s just not cost-effective, especially when the Yankees have been stock-piling arms in AAA and AA, and those guys make mininium wage.
But I guess Cashman felt pressured to get a “lefty in the bullpen”.
Of course, Damaso has had a good career, and I doubt he will continue to be bad for the Yankees (18 innings was a small sample last year). But it just seems hypocritical of the Yankees hierarchy to commit over $12 mil to a guy who frankly is very replaceable (and never threw 80 innings in one season).
With so many older contracts officially off the Yankees books, they have money to blow. But one has to wonder about all the other positions that need to be filled. DailySkew gives thumbs down from the financial point of view.
All that being said, he should help the team, depending on how manager Joe Girardi utilizes him.
Cashman’s official response:
“We wanted to see if we could negotiate a deal that [we] were more comfortable with on a multiyear basis. e felt the one-year, six [million dollars] was too much. But we feel that he’s one of the better lefthanded relievers in the game, and quality lefthanded relief is hard to find.”
- NY Yankees Bid Farewell to Damaso Marte
- SHOCK: Kerry Wood Cubs 1.5 Million!
- Yankees Let Andrew Brackman Become a Free Agent
- John Smoltz and Braves split; signs with RED SOX
- Yankees Trade Deadline Meeting Thursday
- Red Sox Bobby Jenks; Yankees Pedro FELICIANO?
- Yankees Extend CC Sabathia 5-year $122-million deal
- Brian Cashman Signs DH Raul Ibanez (Good or Bad?)
- Pedro Martinez still unemployed, talking with Indians, Pirates, Marlins?
- Randy Johnson signs with Giants
- Melky Cabrera, Hideki Matsui, and Johnny Damon Reconsidered
- Yankees sell Darrell Rasner to Japan
- Giambi signs with A’s; Pavano signs with Indians
- Yankees bullpen 2009
- Rumor: A.J. Burnett signs with Yankees for 5 years
- Yanks Cut Wang
- Yankees offer C.C. Sabathia $140 million
- Yankees Extend Nick Swisher (Dailyskew Analysis)
- 2008 Yankees Bullpen Lefty
- Andy Pettitte signs with Yankees finally