The Milwaukee Brewers had interviewed Willie Randolph for the vacant managerial position before hiring Ken Macha (former A’s manager). Ken called Willie and asked him to come on board as his bench coach. Willie accepted.
Willie saw this as an opportunity to get a guaranteed job while still having the ability to interview for any open managerial spots that may become available.
Keep in mind, Willie is still getting paid by the Mets for 2009.
Willie was one of the big stories in 2008. The rumors of his firing, and the aftermath were huge news..sizzling volcanic news in New York and the national baseball MEDIA.
I guess taking this job was one of those things where he’s signing up for easy money (we are in a financial CRISIS and Obama will be raising Willie’s taxes) and he is addicted to the game.
But frankly being a Milwaukee bench coach is kind of a step down from being Yankees coach or Mets manager.
But to each his own, I guess.
I know Joe Torre would never be a bench coach for the Brewers.
- Willie Randolph fired
- DailySkew Interview: Gary Carter Apologizes for Willie Randolph Manager Comments
- Mets Owner Wilpon Regrets the Way Willie was Fired
- Mets Fire Willie Randolph
- Whatever Happens to New York Mets Managers?
- Will the Mets Fire Willie Randolph ? (Davey Johnson 2009)
- 2007 DMB Divisional Series Results
- Bobby Valentine Marlins Manager? Buck Showalter Orioles Manager?
- Mel Stottlemyre laid off from Mariners
- Will the Marlins spoil the Mets chances at Shea?
- Joe Torre Retires; Rumors of Managing Mets or Marlins False
- Is Mets VP Tony Bernazard is the master manipulator?
- Yankees scouting Victor Zambrano
- Steinbrenner Fires Bobby Meacham- AGAIN!
- MLB Teams Going to the Post Season
- Yankees rumored free agent signings and trade rumors
- Tony Bernazard Speaks
- Where Will Cliff Lee Sign? (Mystery Team REVEALED)
- DailySkew Interview: Leo Mazzone
- The Mets Thread