Well, that was easy. The Yankees made their first move after the 2008 season ended for them. As I had said for a while now- Brian Cashman runs the show, and is the real boss. So he might as well re-sign himself for 3 more years, right?
The bottom line is that President Randy Levine is focused on the new stadium deal and the YES Network revenue than the actual team makeup; his last move was forcing Joe Torre to quit. Randy had to keep a low profile after he was exposed.
The Steinbrenner Brothers are mere figureheads, Hank especially.
The Steinbrenner family feels comfortable with Cashman calling the shots, and he’s like part of the family. I don’t think they wanted an outsider to come in, and rebuilding the minor league systems or dealing with the behind-the-scene politics.
I’m not really happy about his move, since Cashman is overrated, drafts poorly, has been gunshy to sign an ace pitcher, screwed Bernie Williams, played hardball with Mariano and Jorge last year, and hasn’t won a championship since 2000, but I just have to shrug it off, since it was expected.
By the way: how many former Yankees will be in the 2008 post-season?
The obvious is Joe Torre and Don Mattingly of the Dodgers. (The footnote is Scott Proctor.)
But from the Cubs: Ted Lily (17-9), Alfonso Soriano, and Lou Pinella
Angels: Juan Rivera
Red Sox: Mike Lowell- ask Brian Cashman about him…
- The RETURN of Bernie Williams
- Cashman attacks Bernie Williams
- Joe Torre’s Dodgers SWEEP Lou Pinella’s Cubs
- Brian Cashman Calls Joe Torre’s Book Garbage
- Where Was Brian Cashman This PostSeason?
- Carl Pavano vs Joe Torre
- Brian Cashman Media Backlash
- MLB: Yankees Draft Picks (1998)
- Randy Winn Released by Yankees (GREAT NEWS)
- Torre Forced to Apologize for not Defending A-Rod (HA!)
- Yankees pass on Giambi, Abreu, Pettitte…for now
- Yankees Say Farewell to Damon, Sign Randy Winn
- Things I learned from Joe Torre’s book
- Dustin Moseley Padres: His Yankees Career is Over
- It’s Official: The Boss is Gone
- MLB: Yankees Draft Picks (1999)
- Brian Cashman Overruled- Stat Heads Defend Cashman
- Proof: The Boss is (Thankfully) a Zombie
- Joe Torre’s new book: "The Yankee Years"
- Yankees Trade Brian Bruney to Nationals