Announcer Tim McCarver once labeled Mike Mussina as “Mr. Almost” because he almost threw a perfect game, he almost won a Cy Young award, he almost won a World Series ring, and he almost won 20 games in one season.
Well, Mike “Moose” Mussina is now “Mr. 20-Game Winner”. Mike beat the Red Sox yesterday in Boston to finish 20-9, 3.37, with 200 1/3 innings pitched, capping off a comeback season where he was projected to be a 5th- or 6th- starter. Instead, he was the Yankees ace, even if everyone was healthy.
Moose averaged 6 innings a start this year, as manager Joe Girardi wanted to avoid Moose getting injured.
Mariano Rivera, due for shoulder surgery, nailed down the 3-2 victory by coming in the 8th inning. (Years ago, Armando Benitez of the Orioles blew Moose’s 20 game victory.)
Click here for Mike Mussina’s victory speech.
Congratulations, Mike Mussina. The DailySkew hopes you comeback to the Yankees in 2009, and get inducted into the Hall of Fame one day.
- Game 17: Manny hits 2HR off Mussina
- Game 12: BoSox beat Yanks: Girardi and Mussina mistake
- Game 54: Mussina, Abreu, A-Rod, Godzilla beat Twins
- 2001 World Series: Yankees vs Diamondbacks REPLAYED
- Game 74: Edinson Volquez outduels Mussina
- Game 22: Mussina beats White Sox
- 2008 Gold Glove Award Winner: Mike Mussina
- Mike Mussina: Is Moose Cooked?
- Game 101: Mussina, Yanks SWEEP Twins
- Game 64: Jose Guillen beats Mariano Rivera
- Game 69: Mussina beat Astros, Yanks win series
- Game 120: A-Rod’s HR beats Twins in 12th inning
- Game 32: Vintage Mussina beat Mariners
- Game 59: Mike Mussina wins again, 5-1 over Blue Jays
- Game 128: Yanks rally with HRs sink Orioles
- Game 7: Mussina and Yankees offense defeat Rays
- Game 115: Mike Mussina shuts down Texas
- Game 110: Mussina beats Angels, 8-2
- Game 124: Yankees clobber Royals 15-6
- Game 129: Carl Pavano wins! Yankees win series!