THE MORNING AFTER…
And from yesterday:
Did you know that the Yankees had a players only meeting an hour before yesterday’s game started? Only a couple of players spoke. And it sure didn’t work- AGAIN. You can only have enough meetings before you realize you can’t really win every game left on the schedule.
You can blame injuries all you want, but the Yanks needed to sweep the really poor teams this year, or at least take 2/3. Instead, they’ve been dropping the first game of a series after decrying the urgency and need to win Game 1. Then they wind up salvaging the last game, which gives them some “hope”. Repeat cycle. And flush. That’s been 2008.
You play as a team, and you lose as a team. And that includes everyone- from bench players to the front office to ownership.
As I predicted Johnny Damon took responsibility: “It’s uncharacteristic of me and most outfielders in the league. I’ll take this one on me” but as I also said last night, it doesn’t matter. A loss is a loss. A.J. is very MORTAL to the rest of the league, yet is 3-0 against the Yanks this year. Roy Halladay is the real deal, and he’s set to pitch in this series, too. That’s why the Yanks had the players only meeting- to talk about the need to win this series, especially Game 1. And that’s why it’s doubly demoralizing when you drop Game 1- on a bad play.
As for the New York MEDIA now realizing it wasn’t Joe Torre’s fault last year…
…it’s about time. Now Joe Torre’s legacy has been vindicated in the history books and public perception. Torre relied on A-Rod and Jorge Posada to provide all the offense last year, but they choked against the Cleveland Indians in the playoffs last year. This year, the Yanks lost Jorge for most of the season, and A-Rod was not only lost for a few weeks, but he’s been under too much pressure and has been choking.
Joe Girardi needs to be commended for reworking the bullpen this year, and actually keeping his team over the .500 mark, but he inherited a team with bad chemistry and no clutch. They need to be MOTIVATED. Brian Cashman and the Yankees Brain Trust decided to pass on some big name free agents and trades this year. They seem to be okay with things because the team is making a lot of money, and will sure to make more money next year.
- Joe Torre Retires; Rumors of Managing Mets or Marlins False
- Joe Torre Dodgers
- Weight Loss Pills Reviews
- It’s Official: Joe Torre is Gone
- More Johnny Damon Joe Torre comments
- Steinbrenner Speaks
- Joe Torre’s Dodgers SWEEP Lou Pinella’s Cubs
- Johnny Damon is Complaining
- Yankees vs Red Sox
- Giants Beat Braves in 2010 NLDS; End Bobby Cox’s Career
- Game 13: BoSox KO Phil Hughes
- Joe Torre’s book
- David Wells vs Joe Torre
- Game 119: Twins shut out Yankees, 4-0
- John Sterling is the best
- Mariners salvage last game of Yankees series
- Is Joe Girardi too smart, positive, and mentally healthy?
- Joe Girardi: New World Order
- 2002 Anaheim Angels vs 2002 New York Yankees DMB REPLAY
- Will Andy Pettitte and Joe Torre be together again (Dodgers rumor)