This marathon game had the Bronx fans boo the Yankees for grounding into double-plays and getting out with runners in scoring position.
As much as I was happy for Cano and Gardner, it still is a bittersweet victory. The truth is the Yankees won because the Royals made so many errors.
The Yankees pitching did great- Sidney Ponson toughed it out for 6.1 solid innings, allowing 7 hits and 2 runs. Although Damaso Marte walked his only batter faced (bad call by the umpire) Brian Bruney, Edwar Ramirez, Mariano Rivera, and David Robertson (3-0, 5.48) shut out KC the rest of the way.
Regarding Mo: once again Michael Kay implied that he shouldn’t be able to pitch in tie games, and that he is unable to do his job as a closer at home. Kay really didn’t give a mea culpa after Mo had 2 hitless extra innings.
Johnny Damon- what was up with him looking bad by blowing bunts and striking out all day? And “X-Man” Xavier Nady has regressed to his career mean.
In many ways, after last night’s loss, time running out (Yankees now have a 98% chance of not making the playoffs), and the constant choking with runners in scoring position, reality has finally sunk in for me. The Yankees simply should not be having so much trouble with the KC Royals.
As a fan, you can only have so much patience when management and players keep saying “okay, starting next game we’re going to put a streak together”. The team looks like a bunch of walking dead men that don’t realize the inevitable yet.
It appears time has run out. A miracle is needed.
- Game 121: Twins beat Yankees to win series
- Game 100: Cano, Abreu, Rasner beat Twins, 8-2
- Blue Jays take Yanks back to earth
- Game 89: Brett Gardner beats Red Sox
- Game 8: KC Royals beat Hughes and Yankees
- Yankees B-Team beats Royals
- Spring Training: 2013 Yankees vs 1991 Yankees, 2009, 1996
- Game 117: Angels crush Yankees bullpen
- Red Sox Sweep Yankees Part II
- Yankees Opening Day Ruined by Veras and Marte
- Game 97: Yankees beat Oakland A’s in 12 innings
- Yankees Bats Crush Orioles; Cano 2010 MVP?
- Best Yankees hitters (April)
- Game 10: Pettitte dominates Royals
- Game 61: Royals beat Yankees Rasner 2-1
- Mariano Rivera #501
- Bullpen blows Joba Chamberlain’s win
- Baseball Stat Heads: 2010 Rays Win AL East
- Game 124: Yankees clobber Royals 15-6
- Nationals beat Yanks 3-2