Joba Chamberlain couldn’t survive the obscene Texas heat last night. He had to leave after 4.2 innings of work (8 hits, 5 runs, 2 BB, 5 K, 2 HR). He has shoulder stiffness and will have an MRI today to see if it’s serious and how much time he will be out (if at all).
The Rangers erased an early deficit (thanks to HR by no-mustache Jason Giambi and Robinson Cano), survived a game-tying homer by Xavier Nady in the eighth and finally won it on Marlon Byrd’s grand slam off Damaso Marte in the ninth, 9-5.
Edwar Ramirez rebounded from the Angels gram slam by pitching 1.1 hitless innings, as did Brian Bruney. However, Damaso Marte (0-1, 11.57) was the one who blew the game in the 9th.
In other news, before the game Joe Girardi announced that Darrell Rasner was sent to the bullpen, and Dan Giese would take his place to start against the Angels in Anaheim.
If Joba has to miss a start or more, however, Rasner could be back in the rotation. Ian Kennedy is doing well in AAA, and either Carl Pavano or Phil Hughes may be ready this month as well.
Let’s hope Joba is okay.
- Game 111: Xavier Nady, I-Rod upset Angels
- Recently traded Jeff Karstens is almost perfect
- Game 46: Rasner, A-Rod dominate Orioles
- Game 94: Yanks bats beat Blue Jays
- Game 66: A’s beat Yankees Rasner
- Game 130: Cano helps Yankees SWEEP Orioles
- Game 106: Orioles beat Yakees 7-6, comeback failed
- Yankees sell Darrell Rasner to Japan
- 2009 Yankees pitching
- Derek Jeter ties Loe Gehrig’s hit record
- Game 120: A-Rod’s HR beats Twins in 12th inning
- Game 85: Giambi slams Rangers 18-7
- NY Yankees Bid Farewell to Damaso Marte
- Yanks vs Angels Preview
- Yankees resign Damaso Marte three-years, $12 million
- Game 51: Orioles beat Yanks 6-1
- Game 116: Ian Kennedy bombs again Angels
- Yankees message board trends
- Game 118: Angels SWEEP Yankees at Anaheim
- Bullpen blows Joba Chamberlain’s win