Mike Mussina threw 8 innings in the heat in the last game of this exciting, yet disappointing Yankees-Royal series yesterday afternoon at the Stadium.
Moose kind of stumbled in the 7th, by giving up 2 runs, but A-Rod tied it up with a 2-run HR in the bottom of the inning. After a scoreless 8th, Mariano Rivera gave up a solo HR to Yankees killer Jose Guillen in the 9th. The Yankees tried to rally in the 9th, but failed (Melky hit a weak grounder with the bases loaded).
There were some very bad umpire calls during this game…I’m not going to get into it because it sounds like I’m making excuses. The bottom line is that there is no reason why the Yankees and Royals have close games, unless the Yankees just aren’t good enough.
Going into this series, the Yanks needed to win 3/4 or 4/4, not a split against one of the worst teams in baseball.
Joe Girardi said:
“We had a shot to get another walkoff. Our guys kept battling, kept going at them. It just didn’t happen.”
Why question is— what is he going to do about it?
- Game 122: KC Royals beat Mariano Rivera
- Game 9: Royals Zack Greinke shuts out Yanks; Bullpen starts
- Mariners salvage last game of Yankees series
- K-Rod Hits Bullpen Coach Randy Niemann
- Andy Pettitte Finishes Texas Rangers SWEEP
- Game 8: KC Royals beat Hughes and Yankees
- Jonathan Papelbon wants to close All-Star game instead of Mariano Rivera
- JUAN MIRANDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Mariano Rivera strikes back at Rays
- Game 95: AJ Burnett beats Yankees
- Game 60: BEST YANKEES GAME OF THE YEAR (Giambi)
- American League Division Series Matchups, Predictions
- Game 55: Abreu lifts Yankees over Twins in extra innings
- Game 123: Gardner and Cano beat Royals in 13th inning
- Game 53: Pettitte, Joba, Mo, Giambi beat Orioles
- Yankees bash Braves, take 2 out of 3
- Season Series Recap
- Game 82: Oliver Perez dominates Yankees (plus Season Series Recap)
- Game 67: Pettitte, Matsui, Rivera win Oakland series
- A.J. Burnett vs Cliff Lee: The Myth of Auto Loss and Auto Win