A-Rod hit a 2-run homerun in his return to Yankees Stadium last night.
But the big story was the first inning. Thanks to a throwing error by Derek Jeter to Jason Giambi (Jeter will no doubt privately blame Robinson Cano for not being at 2nd, which forced Jeter to throw to 1st), and Mike Mussina (6-4, 4.11) to surrender 7 runs (1 earned) in 2/3.
“I just wasn’t comfortable out there. It felt like I’d never pitched before in my life. Games like that are few and far between, but when they happen, it’s frustrating.”
Anyway, Jeter got hit with a pitch, and LaTroy Hawkins took revenge, causing both benches to clear in the ugliest night of the year (under the full moon, of course).
Ross Ohlendorf got mopup duty again (3 1/3, 3 Runs, 1 ER), Hawkins, Edwar (0.00) Ramirez, and Mariano Rivera were scoreless, while Jose Veras gave up 2 runs in an inning.
- Game 16: Yanks outslug Sox at Stadium
- Game 51: Orioles beat Yanks 6-1
- Game 32: Vintage Mussina beat Mariners
- Game 22: Mussina beats White Sox
- Game 86: Red Sox Lester shuts out Yankees 7-0
- Game 52: LaTroy Hawkins Sucks
- Game 42: Rays beat Ian Kennedy in his return, 5-2
- Game 18: Orioles crush Yankees, Hughes
- Game 4: Tampa Bay Rays crush Yanks
- Game 94: Yanks bats beat Blue Jays
- Game 29: Tigers rip Pettitte, 6-2
- Game 37: Igawa Mauled by Tigers
- Game 103: Cano, Pettitte destroy Red Sox in Boston
- Game 101: Mussina, Yanks SWEEP Twins
- Game 13: BoSox KO Phil Hughes
- Game 99: Yanks bash Twins, 12-4
- AJ Burnett Shuts Down Yanks
- Game 7: Mussina and Yankees offense defeat Rays
- Game 8: KC Royals beat Hughes and Yankees
- Game 107: Abreu hits 2HR over Orioles, Joba wins