Mike Mussina (6-3, 3.99) was once again extremely effective through 6+ innings, as the Yankees actually scored 2 runs off the Tampa Bay Rays. Ross Ohlendorf came on with two runners on in the 7th, and gave a run up, which was charged to Moose. Derek Jeter made a spectauclr double-playto end the innning that the Rays announcers barely acknowlded.
Joba Chamberlain struck out the side in the 8th to setup Mariano Rivera to redeem himself against the same hitters that beat him last night. Mo is now 11/11 in Saves, after striking out Cliff Floyd.
The New York MEDIA is spinning that the Yankees won because Hank Steinbrenner threatened to “make some moves” earlier in the day if they can’t get going.
This is utter hogwash. It’s another reason not to believe ANYTHING that the MEDIA reports.
First of all, Mussina has been effective in every outing this year that did not feature Manny Ramirez. Second of all, how is the Yankees scoring TWO runs (which they had to scrap for) considered getting back on the road to winning?
Without A-Rod and Jorge, the Yanks are a .500 team, it’s as simple as that.
By the way, with his 4-4 performance last night, Robinson Cano is FINALLY batting .205
- Game 4: Tampa Bay Rays crush Yanks
- Game 15: Pettitte, Matsui, Rivera sweep Rays
- Game 27: Yanks beat Indians 5-2
- Game 45: Orioles crush Mussina in the 1st, Yanks lose 12-2
- Game 7: Mussina and Yankees offense defeat Rays
- Rays beat Mariano Rivera in wild game
- Game 17: Manny hits 2HR off Mussina
- Game 115: Mike Mussina shuts down Texas
- Game 129: Carl Pavano wins! Yankees win series!
- Game 39: Rays bite Andy Pettitte
- Game 42: Rays beat Ian Kennedy in his return, 5-2
- Dave Eiland SHOCKER: Signs with Rays as a SPY [REAL]
- Yankees Beat Rays Bullpen; Take Series
- Pirates-Yankees rained out due to GREED
- Rays Burn A.J. Burnett; Jorge Posada DL; Marcus Thames Hurt
- Game 120: A-Rod’s HR beats Twins in 12th inning
- Game 64: Jose Guillen beats Mariano Rivera
- Game 110: Mussina beats Angels, 8-2
- Game 105: Orioles destroy Mike Mussina and Yankees
- Game 90: Andy Pettitte, Derek Jeter beat Tampa Bay Rays