Let’s see the checklist…
- FOX game
- Joe Buck and Tim McCarver
- 4 regulars are benched
- Ian Kennedy, who Tim McCarver said is fighting for his spot, and is too sensitive and intelligent to ignore the MEDIA
- Road Game
- Indians won 4 in a row
- Joba has a mystery injury, and was ordered to rest 2 days in a row
Yup, Yanks lost.
Kennedy struggled for an inning, settled down, but his pitch count was astronomical, and he had to leave after 5. Jorge Posada was the hero with a pinch hit base-clearing, game-tying 3-run triple.
The LaTroy and Kyle Show hurled 3 scary innings (combined 1 hit and 4 walks), yet did not surrender a run. The Yanks offense choked with runners in scoring position again (this has been going on since last year). For some reason, Joe Girardi went with Ross Ohlendorf to start the 9th instead of Joba or Mariano Rivera, who was warming up in the 8th. That decision was “Game. Set. And Match”.
Injury Front and Transactions
A-Rod’s quad must be bothering him still, as he has been DH’ing and making outs. His power numbers are down from last year’s historical April, as I knew they would. Oh, well.
As I reported yesterday, Brian Bruney is OUT FOR SEASON! My other favorite Chris Britton was called from Scranton, and will stay, as Billy Traber was sent down to make room for Shelley Duncan. Billy started off hot, but I had previously warned everyone about him. Girardi was using him against righties, which was suicidal anyway.
The bullpen has been used a lot, and the Yanks need deeper starts (Kennedy’s 5 innings doesn’t cut it, even though he pitched “okay”). Ohlendorf is getting killed out there with his long innings. Bruney was the heir apparent to taking Joba’s place as Official Setup Man.
That being said, the Yanks are in much better shape than last year in April (9-14, with plenty of days off). Considering the Yanks won the Wild Card with that poor start, they should get it again this year, too.
Is there reason to panic? Only if you have no faith in Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy getting any better.
- Game 19: Orioles shut out Yankees
- Game 42: Rays beat Ian Kennedy in his return, 5-2
- Game 9: Royals Zack Greinke shuts out Yanks; Bullpen starts
- Andy Pettitte has a bad back
- Game 4: Tampa Bay Rays crush Yanks
- Game 52: LaTroy Hawkins Sucks
- Game 8: KC Royals beat Hughes and Yankees
- Diamond Mind Baseball: 2008 Yankees April
- Game 33: Yanks sweep Mariners, 8-2
- Game 14: Yanks homer, but almost blow lead against Rays
- A.J. hot again, Yanks win Angels series in LA
- Mariners salvage last game of Yankees series
- Joba Rules- Yankees win 8th in a row
- Joe Girardi and Joba Chamberlain: Promises
- Game 66: A’s beat Yankees Rasner
- Game 113: Texas Rangers outslug Yankees again
- Game 72: A-Rod powers Yankees over Padres
- Yankees bullpen advice
- Diamond Mind Baseball: 2008 Yankees May
- Game 116: Ian Kennedy bombs again Angels