Damian Hospital’s 2008 MLB picks:
Yankees, Tigers, Oakland A’s, Boston Red Sox
Phillies, Cubs, Padres, Rockies
Here is my reasoning:
The Yankees are loaded, the Tigers are better than the Indians, the A’s will be the surprise team of the AL, and the Red Sox will have injuries but still win the Wild Card.
The Mets are CURSED, and it is against my genetic code to pick them. The Cubs are slightly better than the Brewers, who have a manager that costs them games. The NL West will be HIGHLY competitive, and it’s a crap shoot. As much as I want to pick Joe Torre’s Dodgers, I just don’t think “healing the clubhouse” is going to win the NL West. I will be rooting for Joe to win the NL, though. I just don’t see the Dodgers as a favorite, since the Padres have a SUPER pitching staff, and the Rockies were no fluke last year.
Some other team surprises and disappointments:
The Angels’ injury situation looks pretty grim. Most experts pick them to run away with the AL West, but the Mariners have improved pitching now, and I have faith in Billy Beane’s Oakland A’s to bounce back and win that division.
Tampa Bay will be flirting with .500 IF Scott Kazmir is healthy. If not, does it really matter if they finish above the Orioles or not? Seriously, until they get excellent pitching and have money to pick up hot free agents, they will never contend.
The Tigers are the team to beat, and the Indians may hang with them for a while, but ultimately I don’t see them catching them.
The Mets will be the biggest disappointment in baseball for the 2nd consecutive year in Willie Randolph’s last year. The Braves will improve. The Reds may have a better record than the Brewers (who are thin on pitching). The Cardinals and Astros are now non-entities.
The NL West: flip a coin (except the Giants- without Barry Bonds t are worthless).
Last year, my 2007 MLB predictions were:
Yankees [I was wrong for the East, but they won the Wild Card]
As Tony said in October “GREAT job with your picks. On the money!”.
- 2007 DMB Divisional Series Results
- Ken Rosenthal’s 2010 Baseball Picks
- DailySkew 2011 Baseball Predictions- 2011 MLB Picks
- 2008 MLB Postseason Playoffs Schedule, Matchups, Predictions
- Tony Vahl picks Yankees to win World Series- MLB 2009 postseason picks
- Damian Hospital’s 2010 Baseball Predictions
- 2008 MLB: Baseball Year in Review
- DailySkew 2012 MLB Predictions Baseball Projections Picks
- Red Sox Collapse, Ozzie Guillen Marlins, 2011 MLB Post Season Picks
- MLB Teams Going to the Post Season
- Mets blow season: Told ya!
- Yankees Series Recap and Post Season Odds
- Who is on the 2008 MLB DL List?
- Joe Torre’s Dodgers SWEEP Lou Pinella’s Cubs
- New York Tabloids on C.C. Sabathia, and OPENING DAY news
- Damian’s OFFICIAL 2007 Division Picks
- MLB 2008 Post Season Playoffs Brackets
- 2012 MLB Sim Results (OOTP 13)
- Yankees Series Recap
- Season Series Recap