2002 Angels vs 1998 Yanks (Best of 9 Multiverse Series)
Continuing my Diamond Mind Baseball computer simulation of the 1998 Yankees facing the World Series winners from other times.
Game 1- Angels: 2 Yanks 6
David Wells hurled 7 innings, allowing only 2 runs, as the Yankees offense knocked Jarrod Washburn out in the 5th inning. Scott Brosius hit a 2-run shot, Chili Davis went 3-3, and Derek Jeter went 2-5, with an RBI.
Game 2- Angels: 1 Yanks: 4
David Cone completely dominated Anaheim with 8 strong innings, 7K, 0 walks, and only 5 hits. Mariano Rivera had a 1-2-3 9th inning for the save. Russ Ortiz pitched a complete game loss, as Tino Martinez and Bernie Williams hit homeruns.
Game 3- Yanks: 3 Angels: 1
El Duque was untouchable as he pitched 8 innings, allowing only 2 hits. Rivera had another 1-2-3 save. Jeter and Brosius had 2 hits each. John Lackey pitched well (6 innings; 3 runs), and his bullpen pitched better (Schoeneweis and Donnelly) but the Angels were unable to mount any kind of run scoring threat. The Yankees are up 3 games to 0.
Game 4- Yanks: 5 Angels: 6 (12 innings)
Adam Kennedy hit a base clearing double in the bottom of the 12th as the Angels rallied off of Jeff Nelson to defeat the Yankees. Anaheim had trailed 5-3, after Homer Bush and Paul O’Neil put NY ahead with clutch hits in the top of the 12th. After Rivera had pitched 2 1/3 innings of scoreless relief, Nelson came in and, after retiring Benji Gil and Scott Spiezo to lead off the 12th, he was unable to retire the next 4 batters. Starters Andy Pettitte and Kevin Appier did not factor in the final decision.
Game 5- Yanks: 5 Angels: 0
On the heels of one of the most dramatic comebacks, the Angels were unable to continue their momentum against David Wells (2-0, 1.13). Wells tossed a 6-hit complete game shutout. Shane Spencer hit a homerun off of Jarrod Washburn (0-2, 9.58). Derek Jeter and Homer Bush each had 2 hits. The Yankees just need one more win.
Game 6- Angels : 8 Yanks 3
Russ Ortiz (1-1, 3.71) hurled a complete game, allowing 11 hits and 3 runs, as David Cone (1-1, 6.00) was knocked out after 4 innings after surrending 8 runs (7 earned). Darren Holmes and Ramiro Mendoza combined for 5 shutout innings in relief, but the Yankees stranded 7 runners. Darren Estrad had 3 hits, and Brad Fullmner had 4 RBI.
Game 7- Angels: 2 Yanks: 6
The Yankees won the Multiverse Series behind El Duque’s (2-0, 1.80) strong perfomance (7 innings; 4 hits, 2 runs) and Bernie Williams and Homer Bush had 2 hits a piece. John Lackey (0-2, 5.87) was removed in the 2nd inning after allowing 5 runs. Meanwhile El Duque was throwing a no-hitter heading into the 6th inning. After the game Homer Bush (for the series:.406/.412, 4RBI, 3 Runs) was presented the Multiverse Series MVP.
- DMB: 2004 Red Sox vs 1998 Yanks (Best of 9 Multiverse Series)
- DMB: 1998 Yanks vs 2001 Diamondbacks
- DMB: 2003 Marlins vs 1998 Yanks (Best of 9 Multiverse Series)
- 2002 Anaheim Angels vs 2002 New York Yankees DMB REPLAY
- Game 97: Yankees beat Oakland A’s in 12 innings
- Game 72: A-Rod powers Yankees over Padres
- Phil Hughes Returns as Yanks Win Angels Series
- Game 120: A-Rod’s HR beats Twins in 12th inning
- Game 84: Texas Rangers win Yankees series
- Game 29: Tigers rip Pettitte, 6-2
- 2007 DMB WORLD SERIES RESULTS
- Rays beat Mariano Rivera in wild game
- Yankees win 7th straight after rain delay
- Game 22: Mussina beats White Sox
- 2001 World Series: Yankees vs Diamondbacks REPLAYED
- Game 130: Cano helps Yankees SWEEP Orioles
- Game 113: Texas Rangers outslug Yankees again
- Game 32: Vintage Mussina beat Mariners
- Game 115: Mike Mussina shuts down Texas
- Game 118: Angels SWEEP Yankees at Anaheim