Seems like Andy Pettitte was mimicking the George Washington story of “I cannot tell a lie”.
Good ol’ Honest Andy.
This was Andy’s moment of truth. His reward for telling the truth behind closed doors (no thanks to the urging of his meddling wife and lawyers) was that he won’t have to publicly face Roger Clemens or deal with TV cameras and reporters during Roger’s big day. Andy avoided what would have been the worst day of his life.
Now, Andy is a martyr. He was “compelled” to “tell the truth” because of his morality (guilt and fear). The same morality that 1) caused him to use illegal substances; and 2) to initially lie about that use. Yes, apparently, Andy “cannot tell a lie” only under sworn testimony, not during other times. What kind of morality is that? Tell the truth under oath is the EASY way out. Lying for a friend is the harder morality to rationalize and justify.
Heck, it truly was a no-win situation scenario for Andy. If he lied, we’d be calling him a liar! But at least he’d be a loyal liar..the kind you admire. I know Jason Giambi didn’t turn anyone in when he spoke with Selig. But Andy- he always puts himself in tough jams. He usually gets out of jams, and he got out of this one, too, by giving up Clemens.
“I have never had a conversation with Clemens in which he expressed any interest in using steroids or human growth hormone,” Canseco said in the affidavit. “Clemens has never asked me to give him steroids or human growth hormone, and I have never seen Clemens use, possess or ask for steroids or human growth hormone.”
“I have played on three teams with Roger Clemens and I have no reason to believe that he has ever used steroids, human growth hormone, or any other performance enhancing drugs.”
Now THAT’s the way to do it, Andy.
Roger Clemens is playing it off well, by saying his buddy has a foggy memory, and not acting angry at him. Roger Clemens is too cocky to believe that one man’s testimony can take him down.
Kinda like how Hitler was confident the Russian winter would have no affect on his troops.
- Congress Gives Roger Clemens Verdict
- Andy Pettitte supports Clemens’ accuser?
- Roger Clemens’ Testimony
- DailyBalance Presents: Andy Pettitte
- Roger Clemens DNA evidence
- Andy Pettitte Covers for Roger Clemens at Trial
- NOT GUILTY: Put Roger Clemens in the Hall of Fame…NOW
- Roger Clemens Lawyer Backpeddles
- Jose Canseco book tells secrets about A-Rod
- Roger Clemens
- New York MEDIA not buying Andy Pettite
- Dave Stewart vs Roger Clemens II
- Roger Clemens’ wife did HGH?
- Poll: Roger Clemens is a villain
- Manic Monday for Andy Pettitte
- Barry Bonds Testimony
- Mike Stanton Speaks (or maybe not)
- Jorge Posada sticks by Roger Clemens
- Mark McGwire conspiracy? McGwire hired as Cardinals’ hitting coach
- Why is it "news" that Roger is a jerk?