Queens Fans are Hardcore
A grass-roots effort is underway to save the 25-year-old Home Run Apple, which pops up from an upside-down top hat behind the centerfield wall every time a Met hits a long ball.
“The new stadium is being built to be reminiscent of the past, so to not take the apple with them would be like stealing history from the Mets,” said Andrew Perlgut, co-founder of Savetheapple.com
“Hopefully we’ll get tens of thousands of signatures on the petition and find some way to bring this to Fred Wilpon’s attention and say, ‘We want our apple.’”
“It would almost be a betrayal of the everyday Mets fan not to take the apple,” Klein said. “The team owes it to the fans to bring the apple over.”
Team officials said the old apple is too run down to survive a transfer to Citi Field in 2009.
They promise the relic will be put on display somewhere on the grounds of the new ballpark – but a brand new apple will take its place on the field.
“I appreciate the passion, but fans don’t understand the reality that this particular apple is barely holding on and it wouldn’t make any sense to use it in that manner,” said Dave Howard, executive vice president of business operations for the Mets. “We will save it in an appropriate way.”
- Mets to Doc Gooden: Go away
- Apple Bottoms
- What Are Immediate Annuities?
- Rays SWEEP Yanks; Andy Pettitte Crushed
- Whatever happened to Dave Mlicki
- Will the Mets Fire Willie Randolph ? (Davey Johnson 2009)
- New York Mets feeling the heat
- Johan Santana : High Hopes at Shea
- Mets Fans in NYC and Queens
- Carlos Beltran Jinxes Mets
- Mets sign closer K-Rod, Francisco Rodriguez
- Mike Pelfrey Beats Phil Hughes; Mets Take Game 2
- Mets Players Want Darryl Strawberry Banned From Clubhouse
- Mets Fire Willie Randolph
- In Defense of the Mets Lack of Offseason Moves
- A.J. Burnett 1 hits Mets
- Family Friendly Red Sox: Mainstream Sox Fans
- Johan Santana KO’s CC Sabathia; Mets Win 2010 Subway Series
- Yanks destroy Mets 15-0!!!!
- New York Mets Take Access Away From Reporter (Over Book?)