Here’s a listing of the criticisms:
1) He roots for the Yankees.
2) He makes errors.
3) His play-by-play is not detailed enough.
4) He so overly dramatic for even the most routine plays, that it is impossible to distinguish the routine plays from the truly spectacular ones.
5) He makes excuses for Yankees players and management.
6) His views on baseball are purely from the Yankees perspective.
7) He is forgetful.
8) His is a paid George Steinbrenner shill and yes-man- “the company line”.
9) He takes shots at other teams and the MEDIA.
10) His nicknames and catchphrases for Yankees players are unprofessional, biased, and annoying.
11) “Theeeeeeeeeeeee” is shameless, offensive, and repetitive.
All that being said, John Sterling is my favorite announcer going today. John, a true fan of the players, is in a position to protect them from the bloodthirsty MEDIA hordes; he is their spokesman and apologist. He is the anti-Snapshot Joe, meaning John does NOT get caught up in the moment.
And it’s a shame millions of people don’t understand that John Sterling is doing a radio BIT, a la Phil Hendrie. HE KNOWS when he’s spinning something to protect the Yankees, and he KNOWS when he is setting up the scene to cushion a loss for a young pitcher or a Yankees loss. My point is that he is fully AWARE when he’s doing a bit.. He realizes how people read and hear so much venom and poison about the Yankees every day, and he’s the only one who doesn’t go to that level. In fact, John doesn’t even criticize the most hated players, such as Barry Bonds and Manny Ramirez. John doesn’t get on a soapbox or bandwagons or witch hunts about steroids or even when Kenny Rogers was “cheating”. Something that his critics never report is that John ALWAYS promotes the opposing team and players (of course, the reason is to build the team into a credible threat so that IF the Yankees win, it would show how great the Yankees are, and IF they lose…well, they were playing the INDIANS, one of the best teams in the league! nudge, nudge, wink, wink).
In fact, as a loyal listener to John for many years (he and Michael Kaye were the best tag team ever- John would appeal to your emotions, and Michael to your brain with stats) I can vouch for his honesty and balanced reporting. Sure, he’s for the Yankees, but THAT’S HIS JOB. Another thing his critics don’t point out is that John DOES criticize bad PLAYS (he usually has a great reason for the error, though) by the Yankees players (but not the PERSON). He also will be the first to discuss the problems with starters not lasting 5 innings, and the toll it takes on the bullpen. And when the Yanks just aren’t good enough, he’ll say it.
With the recent MEDIA blasting Joe Torre and the Yankees have been receiving, Mr. Sterling has offered these words of wisdom:
1) Last year, the Twins were 10 games out in August, but still made first place.
2) When a Daily News reporter was in the announcing booth with John, the reporter said there was so much optimism because K-Igawa pitched great, and how the Yankees will be on the right track because their pitching staff is all set now, etc. but John disagreed and said it is ridulous for the MEDIA to take ONE GAME from Igawa, and translate that into a successful year for him going forward.
3) John has continued to tell listeners that player stats regress to the mean, i.e. players that start hot level off, and players that start cold also level up to their expected historical levels of production.
For all the MEDIA bashing Joe Torre, Derek Jeter, and John Sterling get, it’s amazing that their ability to remain calm and speak the truth doesn’t wave. They are the voices of reason in this age of chaos. For those of you who just “don’t get it”, John Sterling is probably over your head. It’s more of a reflection of you. I don’t blame you for not “getting it”, but try laying of ripping him until you do.
- Phil Mushnick attacks John Sterling
- John Sterling Tribute
- Analyzing the YES Network’s Broadcasting Team (Michael Kay rant)
- Lou Pinella YES Announcer Chemistry, John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman Reviews
- Family Friendly Red Sox: Mainstream Sox Fans
- Padres screw Trevor Hoffman
- A Blast from the Past — in honor of "Alexander the Great"
- Snapshot Joe is a liar, folks…
- The League still fears the Yankees
- Is Joe Girardi too smart, positive, and mentally healthy?
- Derek Jeter’s Quest for 3,000 Ends With His Greatest Game Ever
- Robinson Cano Answers Critics
- Is John Lackey an ace?
- Bud Selig’s Conspiracy to Beat the Yankees
- John Wetteland hospitalized
- Pettitte, Park, Granderson, Rivera Beat Red Sox in 10
- The Jorge Posada Hate Trend
- Hideki Matsui walkoff Homerun
- Red Sox SWEEP Yankees
- Is A-Rod a good guy now?